Yaesu: Deciding between a FT1DR and a FT2DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golay

Here in Detroit, we have a few Fusion machines. One of the repeaters here, which has outstanding coverage, is going Fusion soon. I want to get a handheld for Fusion.

So in reading online reviews, I mostly see people that have had both seem to think the FT2DR, other than a touchscreen display, isn't any better than the FT1DR. They talk of how the screen is hard to see except at limited angles. They say the touchscreen don't care for fat fingers. So I'm soliciting opinions here from my good friends on RadioReference. I'll basically just be using the radio to talk thru the local repeaters. Looking at HRO, there is a $60 savings in buying the 1DR.

For anyone that has had both, what are the advantages of the 2DR over the 1DR?
For anyone that has both, after you bought the 2DR, did you say to yourself "What's the big deal, should of just kept the 1DR"?

Thanks.

k6cpo

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the FT2DR rather than the FT1DR. I have two major complaints about the FT1 and both have to do with audio. First off, the audio out of the FT1 internal speaker is so poor, the volume has to be set 20 or above to be able to hear it, And there-in lies the rub... To adjust the volume on the FT1DR, the operator has to hold in a button on the side of the radio and then rotate the know on the top of the radio. It takes two hands to accomplish.

This makes the radio somewhat useless for environments where the volume has to be adjusted repeatedly. The FT2DR, on the other hand, has a separate volume control knob, making it much easier to operate. As I don't have an FT2DR, I have no idea about the audio out of the internal speaker on that radio.

Golay

New Fusion Handheld

I still haven't bought a Yaesu System Fusion radio yet, but know that I see the Yaesu FT-70DR announcement, I might just spring for that.

Even though I started this thread in January, I had no intention of buying a handheld before Dayton.
I had a feeling that Yaesu would roll out another Fusion radio or two shortly before the Hamvention.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I purchased the FT-1D but I find the audio just fantastic. Even set at 6 is often far to loud. I do not have the FT-2D as I see no need to purchase.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the FT2DR rather than the FT1DR. I have two major complaints about the FT1 and both have to do with audio. First off, the audio out of the FT1 internal speaker is so poor, the volume has to be set 20 or above to be able to hear it, And there-in lies the rub... To adjust the volume on the FT1DR, the operator has to hold in a button on the side of the radio and then rotate the know on the top of the radio. It takes two hands to accomplish.

This makes the radio somewhat useless for environments where the volume has to be adjusted repeatedly. The FT2DR, on the other hand, has a separate volume control knob, making it much easier to operate. As I don't have an FT2DR, I have no idea about the audio out of the internal speaker on that radio.

there is a fix for that, go into your menu and select 2tx/rx>then 3 audio> then 4 vol mode and change it to auto back. exit the menus and tap the vol button and twist the knob, it will unmute and adjust the vol which will stay on the screen for a few seconds then disappear.

I found this feature in the vx 8g then it was also in the FT1D.

k6cpo

there is a fix for that, go into your menu and select 2tx/rx>then 3 audio> then 4 vol mode and change it to auto back. exit the menus and tap the vol button and twist the knob, it will unmute and adjust the vol which will stay on the screen for a few seconds then disappear.

I found this feature in the vx 8g then it was also in the FT1D.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot...

AG5DB

fwiw the price of the FT-1XDR dropped to $250 a couple of weeks ago, and imo that's a rather nice deal going (that's only $50 more than the new 70RDR). I picked one up with the price drop and I'm quite happy with it (quirks with firmware design, manual, etc). APRS and GPS works great, as does YSF. As a bonus, I've been using it with my openspot to cross mode to DMR - that means I only have to carry one HT with me.

wrath

The big drawbacks that I have seen in the 70R are deal breakers, 1. It is single reliever one band at a time according to yaesu and it lacks APRS, Yaesu says they are appealing to the lower end of the market by leaving out most of the features of modern radio , the 70 is pretty much the handheld version of the 3200 mobile ,yes it will do fusion but without the bells and whistles of any other modern radio to be used for anything else . They are courting the customers that currently use a CCR but are not really offering anything for the upgrade unless you want to be locked in to analog and fusion , according to yaesu it can't even be used for wires x , so I would be real carefull between the 70 and the FT 1 the 70 may appear to be a bargain , when it's really locking you in to a very limited radio. I vote with my money , YMMV .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.