Deciding between two handheld scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

howie38

Premium Subscriber
I've been looking at the BCD325P2 portable to go with my 996P2 but I just came across the BCD436HP. I don't need that zipcode programing feature, so would it be worth the extra money? (Hey, the gov wants me to spend that stimulus check)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've been looking at the BCD325P2 portable to go with my 996P2 but I just came across the BCD436HP. I don't need that zipcode programing feature, so would it be worth the extra money? (Hey, the gov wants me to spend that stimulus check)
If the 996P2 does well with your local systems, then the 325P2 should perform about the same.

The main advantage of the 436HP over the 325P2 would be if you traveled, and took your scanner with you. In that case, updating the databse on the 436HP, then connecting up a GPS to it, you would be able to monitor systems along your route without having to manually program (or import them into software) before setting out.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Unless money is very important, I'd go with the 436, if I couldn't get an SDS100, over the 325. Yeah you would have to duplicate programming because they are different. I don't know where in New Jersey you are, but I bet there are a lot of simulcast systems and the SDS 100 is great with them, where the other two are not.

The 325 has a lot of memory limitations if you listen to a big statewide system, which the 436 does not.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Unless money is very important, I'd go with the 436, if I couldn't get an SDS100, over the 325. Yeah you would have to duplicate programming because they are different. I don't know where in New Jersey you are, but I bet there are a lot of simulcast systems and the SDS 100 is great with them, where the other two are not.

The 325 has a lot of memory limitations if you listen to a big statewide system, which the 436 does not.
I forgot to mention that earlier this month (see this thread), Amazon had the 436HP at $370.09. (It's up at $439.00 at this time.) But they periodically drop it back down to the ~$370 range every month or two. The normal price for the 325P2 is pretty much in the $370 range, without the frequent price drops. Amazon also currently lists a 436HP from "Amazon Warehouse" for just under $350.00

These are usually customer returns where there was nothing wrong with the scanner itself. Sounds like the box on this one took a hit, but no damage to the scanner. Some returns like this are not because of any fault of the scanner, it was returned. Maybe the purchaser gave up on programming it, or perhaps they found it would not work on their simulcast system.

You can use Keepa.com, or CamelCamelCamel to watch the price of the 436HP for the next time the price drops.

If there was no significant difference in price between the 325P2 and a 436HP, go for the 436HP.

Note that using ProScan (even if only the free trial period), you could import your 996P2 file into the software and create a duplicate favorites list to use in the 436HP (or SDS100, if that's where you end up).

markn455

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to decide about the 436HP .vs SDS100. The SDS100 came out not too long after I got my 436HP. I found the 436HP a little deaf and was wonder how the SDS100 compares. If anyone has both, can you comment on how the two radios compare?

fredva

Feed Provider
I am trying to decide about the 436HP .vs SDS100. The SDS100 came out not too long after I got my 436HP. I found the 436HP a little deaf and was wonder how the SDS100 compares. If anyone has both, can you comment on how the two radios compare?
In your case, get the SDS100. If you are in Cherokee County Georgia, you have the Cobb Regional Radio System in your area. That is a simulcast trunking system. The SDS100 was designed to be compatible with simulcast systems, the 436HP was not. I have had both, and the SDS100 performs significantly better on simulcast systems in my area.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have two 436HP's, as well as one SDS100. With several systems duplicated over both models, using the same antennas, I have not seen enough difference to notice. Even on some of the weaker systems in the area, there's not one that the 436 picks up "better", or that the SDS100 misses calls. These all have basically the same antenna; one of the 800MHz antennas, now distributed by Remtronix. The only difference is that the one on the SDS is the version made specifically for the SDS100, that mounts in such a way that the water resistance is maintained. For the 436HPs, I'm using the SMA to BNC adapter that came with them.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

I have both. If your local system is simulcast, the SDS100 is going to outperform the 436 because it is specifically designed for simulcast. For other stuff, their performance is pretty similar when both are connected to the same antenna via a multicoupler.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Running it on my 536. I like it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 20.26.39.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 20.26.39.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 36

Hfcomms

Was a member years ago but for the life of me can't remember the old handle so I rejoined with this one. I have an older radio shack scanner that looks just like the Whistler WS1065 so assuming that when the Rat Shack went bankrupt that Whistler acquired the goods.

Anyway have been in the market for a new portable and settled for the BCD436HP even though that is an older design now. Was going to wait to get the SDS100 but didn't want to wait that long nor did I want to spend 7 bills on it. I like the home patrol concept of just inputting the zip code and pretty much having it already set up on the local systems as I recall that programming the Rat Shack was a PITA.

Got a great deal on Spamazon for $368 even though the radio was backordered for a few weeks. It should be arriving next Weds and I looked again today at the price was jacked back up to $499 and other sellers were getting $520 on up so I'm pretty content knowing that I'm paying about half that I would of for the SDS100.

Any recommendations for a good rubber duck? I know at best the stock antenna is more of an attenuater than anything else. Mostly would be monitoring the 800mHz apco-25 state system in Michigan here.

TIA

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
What program is that running?
Jim
I goofed and posted that here by accident. It's a MAC scanner control program someone came up with..

ScubaJungle

Definitely the 436.
Anything below the 436 doesnt have favorite lists, which in my opinion makes them outdated and useless for large amounts of data.
If you are only planning on having a few favorite lists/systems, then sure, but if you want more than that, turning on/off dozens of lists by quick key will be really annoying.

Favorite lists are to me, what separates the x36 and SDS series from most other scanners/software. You can have as many as your SD card can hold (100s, if not 1000s), and you can select what you do or don't want to listen to.
To give you an example - and an idea of how to set things up, I have favorite lists for local public safety - all, with ID Search, and then one or two more of the same system, Police only, and detective only. Then, I have lists for every industry/sector, and some "secondary FLs, that consist of the most active frequencies/systems for those industries (hospitals, security, manufacturing/construction, parks/forest/rescue, maritime, federal, etc).
Then, in those favorite lists, I have quick keys assigned to the sites - so, say your local public safety system has three sites, but you only want to listen to the closest one - you have the public safety FL on, and then you can disable all the sites besides the one closest to you by using the keys you assigned.

With the scanners like the 996, you can't really do any of this that easily - you are stuck scanning every single thing you have, and can only shut off specific things with their quick keys. So, as I said, if you don't plan on having much, then that is fine, but if you plan on having a large library as I do (50+ FLs), then good luck manually shutting off/on 100+ systems.

I am NOT saying the BCD996 is a bad scanner - it is a great scanner from my experience, and if you don't have any need for a large number of lists/simulcast, then I would say, get it if you can get it at a decent price (less than $350, since the BCD436HP, is $350-$370 on Amazon).
If you would like to set up a large number of lists, then get the 436.

Attachments

• Screenshot (114).png
    Screenshot (114).png
    96.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot (115).png
    Screenshot (115).png
    168.4 KB · Views: 12

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have an older radio shack scanner that looks just like the Whistler WS1065 so assuming that when the Rat Shack went bankrupt that Whistler acquired the goods.
Originally, GRE manufactured the PSR-600. They made the same scanner for Radio Shack known as the Pro-197. When Whistler bought the rights from GRE, they made the same basic scanner for Radio Shack known as the Pro-652. The WS1065 is essentially the same scanner as the Pro-652.

Hfcomms

Just looking at the nomenclature. Mine is a Pro-197 and has served me well thru the years and still works fine. Good little radio but time marches on. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.