Deciding on a handheld scanner???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you want a scanner, how do you decide? Here's how I decided.

1. Price, including programing software.
2. Ease of use, documentation.
3. Ease of programing, cost of programing
4. Ease of updates.

I bought the Radio Shack Pro-107 handheld scanner, because of what I learned on here. I kept on noticing how many posts with topic of programing the Pro-107, problems with product, basicly none.

When I bought this scanner it was $179.99, it came with all the programing software (FREE) you will ever need, You don't need to be a software engineer to program the Pro-107.

This scanner is very easy to use, (load the iSCAN software that came with the scanner) after a few hours of playing around, I had 5 counties programmed and was listening to scanner, I use the trial and error style of operation.

I suggest installing the iSCAN software and importing all the selected groups from the computer to your SD storage card(provided) Everything is easy to keep updated the firmware, library updates, and the software.

I have an external outside antenna brought from Solid Signal.
I primarily you this for police, fire, ems. I use very little Trunking.

Things I think need improvement:

1. The mini usb power plug.
2. The time it takes to charge batteries
3. Radio Shack Batteries.

I really recommend this scanner, the hardcore old timers may believe differently, I guess if there is nothing to complain about about, then there is nothing to talk about.

I did buy a 2nd one for my 77 year old stepfather and do not regret it.

Thanks
Greg V

CStarr59

Greg, I agree with you 100% on this scanner. It is one of RS best scanners and the technology of the database on a SD card is something I believe more scanners will use in the future. I use a good external charger and several sets of 2700mah batteries and it's been great. I always have batteries ready to go and you will save money and time in the long run. here is what I use...

MAHA MH-C9000 Advanced Battery ChargerFree Deluxe Storage Ca..

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The 107 is nice but not for someone from an area with digital systems, so they have to consider that fact as well.
Hopefully they come out with a digital version.

safetyobc

As popular as the Pro-107 is on here, I can imagine it is selling very well. Heck, I am thinking about getting a PSR-700 when they are released. I would love to have a scanner that is always programmed for nationwide use! I don't travel much, but when I do, it would be nice to just grab and go. A digital version would be the ultimate though, so I may wait and see what is announced later this year, if anything.

I would say it is highly likely they will come out with a digital version. Probably be late 2010 or early 2011 though I would think.

safetyobc

(emphasis added)

Especially when one considers that people "on here" aren't even the target market for the PRO-107.

Exactly my point. :D These are hot little items among those who typically know how to program a scanner. I can only imagine that the novice users are eating these things up!

CStarr59

I'm sure GRE will produce a digital version of this scanner. It might take several months to a year though,
and I can't imagine them not doing it. The squelch tail, the audio, and the display on the 107 is fantastic. I've had many RS and GRE scanners in the past, and the 107 is by far the best analog scanner they have produced to date. And if any of that carries over to the new digital version, it will be fantastic also. The SD card database, and included software are superb.

DonS

Somewhere in the decision factor should be digital vs.analog.

I think that's been mentioned above.

However, even for those of us that might have some digital (e.g. I have exactly one interesting P25 channel: the Sheriff's "part-time" channel for one part of the county), this little scanner is pretty nice.

I admit that I was doubtful when I first heard about it (mid-2008), but the PRO-107 has become my primary "carry around" scanner.

jamesa53

I admit that I was doubtful when I first heard about it (mid-2008), but the PRO-107 has become my primary "carry around" scanner.

And not only that, you answer user questions about the RS software supplied with the 107 that you did not develop! ;)

In terms of analog vs. digital, in my area, 95% of anything of interest is digital. But I have a 107 anyway.....

Last edited:

DonS

And not only that, you answer user questions about the RS software supplied with the 107 that you did not develop! ;)

I answer them because it helps RS and GRE. To some extent, helping them helps me - whether indirectly or directly.

Of course, I'm "pretty close to" the development path for the PRO-107's firmware and PC software - closer to one than to the other ;)

maalox

it would be great if they made the 107 or another scanner like they made the 330t with the am...

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I think this little rig is fantastic especially as a gateway for new users into the hobby. Yes, the target market is generally not the users here, but I have one and love it. My 80 year old father had his set up and running in less than 5 minutes without any help from me.

It's awful looking, the model GRE had at CES is better, perhaps RS and GRE might consider hiring someone with some industrial design skills. Especially in the age of consumer electronics where design appeal captures more market than function.

Status
Not open for further replies.