Decidng p25 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

trauts14

I read a good tutorial a forum member posted to assist me with learning how to decode/monitor my local PD (P25). i am a bit confused still. When everything is ready to go , do I have to simultaneously run SDR#, DSD+, and Unitrunker in order to listen to my local PD?

SDR# is working at least since I can listen to my local FM radio station. This decoding and monitoring issue is challenging. I understand computers well, and it is quite a challenge....yet educational.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I read a good tutorial a forum member posted to assist me with learning how to decode/monitor my local PD (P25). i am a bit confused still. When everything is ready to go , do I have to simultaneously run SDR#, DSD+, and Unitrunker in order to listen to my local PD?

SDR# is working at least since I can listen to my local FM radio station. This decoding and monitoring issue is challenging. I understand computers well, and it is quite a challenge....yet educational.

Assuming you have 2 rtl dongles, you just need Unitrunker and DSD+, along with a virtual audio cable.

trauts14

I have unitrunker and dsd+. i have only one dongle because some people in the forum said based on what i want to monitor, one dongle would do it. i am trying to monitor high point NC police dept. (P25)
i also have a virtual audio cable

Dog

The step by step tutorial I sent you in your other post walks you through every setting you need to make. It did not use SDR#. Go back to that post and go through step by step setting each setting as it shows. It also shows how to do it with one dongle.

Here is another link with all the settings.

http://unitrunker.com/realtek2.html

Last edited:

trauts14

@Dog I have unitrunker running now at least, but the instructions for single dongle use say to set VCO to "2 VCOs." When I click "2 VCOs" unitrunker will not hold on to the setting and reverts to "1 VCO." what am I doing wrong?

trauts14

I am not hearing any audio even though unitrunker is "working" and showing active frequencies. both VCOs have audio set to Microsoft sound mapper.i understand i will need DSD+ to decode, but the tutorial said I should hear audio. even when DSD+ is running i do not hear anything. i feel like i am so close, but obviously not quite there.

Dog

If there is not any analog talk groups or they aren't communicating on them at the time you won't hear anything.

On the VOICE VCO you should have audio output set as sound mapper, didgital output as your audio cable output, next right click on the speaker icon in the task bar of your computer and click recording devices, right click on "line 1" this should be the audio cable, click set as default recording device.

Now you should be able to bouble click DSDPlus.exe

trauts14

thanks. in reference to my VOICE VCO, my digital output has the option of Virtual Audio Cable or Speakers. the virtual audio is what i went with. i hope this is correct

trauts14

screenshots

the pics show my current configuration. i am not currently getting audio, yet unitrunker is showing the calls as active. any assistance or tips are appreciated.

Attachments

• rr2.jpg
    rr2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 588
  • rr3.jpg
    rr3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 581
  • rr4.jpg
    rr4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 636
  • rr1.jpg
    rr1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 655

trauts14

@natedawg1604 thanks, i attached one pic. i just did what you mentioned . should i be hearing audio even though my voice VCO is set to mute? currently i hear no audio in unitrunker and no audio with DSD+ for what it is worth.

Attachments

• rr975.jpg
    rr975.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 609

Dog

When you say " yet unitrunker is showing the calls as active." can you see the talk groups changing in the voice VCO "Listen" section?

On the signal VCO change the digital output to undefined.

On the voice VCO change digital output to "Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable".

Did you change the default recording device to "Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable"?

trauts14

thank you @Dog. i changed my signal VCO to "unspecified"
i did change the default recording device to line 1 virtual audio cable last night
i cannot see the talk groups changing in the voice VCO "listen" section.
the attchment below show what i currently have in voice VCO....
thank you for the assistance.

Attachments

• rr863076.jpg
    rr863076.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 548

trauts14

by the way, how do i get rid of the multiple listings for the same device as seen below in the screenshot?

Attachments

• rr635585.jpg
    rr635585.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 538

Dog

Can you post a link to the system you are trying to monitor?

To delete the receivers you aren't using highlight it and click the minus sign at the top.

In your screenshot of the site window it shows you have a very weak signal. You might need to get a better antenna. At this point if the calls are showing up in the site window I don't know why the voice VCO wouldn't be following calls when they are the same receiver unless it isn't getting a strong enough signal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.