Decidng p25 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM82557

Drift Correct is set to whatever the PPM correction for your dongles is. Have you calibrated your dongles to determine what their PPM correction is? They are all different.

trauts14

yes, i calibrated with sdr#. that makes sense why i set it to 14 or 15. afetr reboot i still cannot get VOICE receiver to play. would the wrong PPM setting prevent the voice receiver from "playing?" when i press play, it still shows as stopped

trauts14

by the way, the dongle i am using is the exact same as my first dongle. do i need to install a separate drive for the new dongle? i did not, since i was receiving comms 2 nights ago...with audio

trauts14

appears it is NOT a driver issue. i plugged in only new newer dongle and used SDR# to successfully monitor NOAA.

Dog

Drift correct doesn't have anything to do with the voice receiver playing.

You have 2 issues. They are separate from one another.

Drift correct could have something to do with Unitrunker being able to decode the system and open the site window. What drift correct does is correct what frequency it actually is on. When it heats up it drifts one way or the other off of the frequency you have it set to. That is the nature of electronics. 15 is not the correct amount. On the VCO tab at the top, RSSI is the signal strength, window is how much it is drifting. You want RSSI as high as possible. Mine stays in the 60s and I have solid green signal. Your window shows as -250 you want to set the drift correct to get window as close to 0 as you can. First uncheck auto correct. Then change the drift correct number up or down and see where the window goes and adjust from there. Once you change the number you have to click a different line to get it to take.

On the Voice receive not playing. I am not sure what the issue is. My next suggestion would be to delete it and then add it again.

trauts14

@Dog thank you. my "window" is much better now. my RSSI is 50, but hopefully that is due to indoor antenna placement temporarily. i had to change drift correct. the "drift correction" box is currently unchecked. should i change it back to "checked" since my "window" is near 0?

i will screenshot my settings for the "voice" receiver for personal use, and then delete it. i will remove my "signal" dongle from computer to prevent any mistakes upon reinstall/reconfig of voice receiver.

Attachments

• help pic1.jpg
    help pic1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Dog

@Dog thank you. my "window" is much better now. my RSSI is 50, but hopefully that is due to indoor antenna placement temporarily. i had to change drift correct. the "drift correction" box is currently unchecked. should i change it back to "checked" since my "window" is near 0?
le from computer

i will delete my "voice" receiver. i will take a screenshot of the settings for personal use upon reinstall. i will physically remove "signal" dongle" from computer to prevent any mistakes when i reinstall the "voice" dongle.

Leave it unchecked on the signal receiver.

trauts14

disregard my screenshots below....

Attachments

• rtl.jpg
    rtl.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 105
  • rtl2.jpg
    rtl2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 107
  • rtl3.jpg
    rtl3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 131
  • voice receiver1.jpg
    voice receiver1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 104
  • voice VCO3333.jpg
    voice VCO3333.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Dog

Install driver for the other dongle using Zadig. Leave them both plugged in. When you click "List all" if I remember correctly there will only be 1 Interface 0. It has been awhile the last time I did it.

trauts14

thanks @Dog both receivers are showing "ready/running."...finally. i am not seeing the box that normally pops up in unitrunker which shows the green status bar and all the current calls being scrolled through. i will check the driver as you mentioned.

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 101

Dog

thanks @Dog both receivers are showing "ready/running."...finally. i am not seeing the box that normally pops up in unitrunker which shows the green status bar and all the current calls being scrolled through. i will check the driver as you mentioned.

If they are both running no need to mess with drivers.

The site window not popping up is a signal issue.

trauts14

new vid of zadig and current settings: https://youtu.be/0xeHIc51EF8

in zadig as you can see it appears i have 2 items listed as "bulk interface 0" and also 2 items listed as "bulk interface 1"

some would say, just buy a Whistler and make it easy...which i could do. that sorta defeats the purpose in my mind. the inner geek in me enjoys the challenge of making a trunking scanner from 2 simple dongles and software. i appreciate your assistance throughout this process. @Dog do you happen to have a TYT md-380?

Dog

Everything is working as it should. No need to mess with drivers or Zadig. Not sure why it wouldn't play but it is playing now that is all that matters.

You will have to figure out how to get a better signal now.

When I bought my dongles in 2013 it was the only way to monitor EDACs ProVoice systems. Plus i can't afford to spend $400 - $500 or more on a "real" scanner.

No I don't have a TYT md-380.

trauts14

i do not understand why it worked a few nights ago, and not now. at least a few nights ago the window popped up showing active calls....from another city. i understand i did not have my proper control channel set, but it seems now with proper control channel set, and a PD tower being within a few miles of my house i would get that new window to pop up showing active scrolling calls. my RSSI seems acceptable and my "window" seems acceptable.

Dog

From my experience RSSI need to be in the high 50s or 60s.

Without being there I am not sure why you get a better signal from one system than the other.

Here is something you can try.

On the main window that opens with your receivers in it. Click on the systems tab at the bottom.
Click the plus sign to add a system..
Double click the new entry.
In the SID field enter 8758.
Click the download button at the top. (looks like a gear/snowflake)

That is the same site window that would pop up. You just downloaded all the information for it. You can click on the Call History tab at the bottom and see if it has any signal at all.

trauts14

thank you. the signal does not appear to be running still. i just do not understand. i know both dongles work independently when i tried monitoring NOAA about 30 miles away. i have both dongles using a 800mhz antenna (i used the telescoping antenna for NOAA).

VID: https://youtu.be/NSh-Ojb23yA

I guess worst case scenario, i delete both dongles and start from scratch.

Dog

Everything is working as it should as far as Unitrunker is concerned. No need to delete or redo anything.

The only thing I can suggest besides finding away to get a better signal is to actually stop the receivers before closing.

Then restarting them when you open again. The square stop button is next to the play button. I always stop both receivers before I close the program. I don't know if it matters or not.

SCPD

QRT
Make sure both RTL sticks are calibrated.

The warp correction value may have changed since you last ran them.

What are the window values when both RTLs are running?

What do you see in the 'scope tab for each one?

Last edited:

trauts14

@Unitrunker thanks. I will check tonight and respond. I can calibrate again using my local NOAA station since that is a solid signal.

Dog

@Unitrunker thanks. I will check tonight and respond. I can calibrate again using my local NOAA station since that is a solid signal.

Yes both need calibrated however that doesn't have anything to do with the issue you are having now. Low signal on the system you are trying to hear.

That won't come into play until you have a system to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.