Decidng p25 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

trauts14

Out of curiousity, if one dongle will cover approx 2mhz from the control channel, what frequency spread will 2 dongles cover?

Dog

Out of curiousity, if one dongle will cover approx 2mhz from the control channel, what frequency spread will 2 dongles cover?

As far as I know there isn't a limit because one receiver isn't trying to listen to 2 frequencies at the same time.The system I listen to has a 9.9 mhz spread and they do fine.

SCPD

QRT
trauts14 - you can configure and run as many devices as your CPU allows. Some people run eight or more RTL sticks. You could, for example - have two four channel RTL sticks following control channels in 450, 770, 851, and 935 Mhz - plus one voice role RTL stick to follow conversations (one at a time) across all four bands.

trauts14

When my second receiver arrives tomorrow, will it be better to start both dongles from scratch using the tutorial?
i set up and used RTL1090 with Virtual Radar. for $20, these dongles are so damn versatile and fun and quite a learning experience.

Dog

The signal receiver will stay the same. Just change the VCOs from 2 to 1 and add a second receiver.

trauts14

@Dog I finally have my 2nd dongle and I am setting it up. Both dongles are made by the same company and are the same model. Is there a way to name each one so Unitrunker does not show 2 "RTL2832U" devices which could lead to mistakes being made on my behalf?

Dog

@Dog I finally have my 2nd dongle and I am setting it up. Both dongles are made by the same company and are the same model. Is there a way to name each one so Unitrunker does not show 2 "RTL2832U" devices which could lead to mistakes being made on my behalf?

There is a way but there are some caveats to it and I don't know what they are as I have never done it. They usually have different serial numbers. IE mine are Bulk-In Interface (Interface 0) 00000000 and Bulk-In Interface (Interface 0) 7&1128c****. Something like that.

trauts14

i changed my signal receiver from 2 to 1 as you suggested. i created my "Voice" receiver, but i will not "play" when i press play. i have a screenshot below. any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• voice VCO.jpg
    voice VCO.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 136
  • voice1.jpg
    voice1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Dog

i changed my signal receiver from 2 to 1 as you suggested. i created my "Voice" receiver, but i will not "play" when i press play. i have a screenshot below. any assistance is appreciated.

Set the RTL Device setting to the other one that isn't the signal serial number.

trauts14

i see i can change the "type" and "model" of the device in unitrunker, but i do not see any area for serial number config?

Dog

i see i can change the "type" and "model" of the device in unitrunker, but i do not see any area for serial number config?

Yes, I meant in the drop down on the "RTL Device" line. You should have 2 choices. One will be selected on the signal receiver. you need to select the other one for voice receiver.

trauts14

thank you. i just did that, and now i will open unitrunker and press play on my voice receiver dongle and press play on my signal receiver dongle.

trauts14

it works now, thank you! i am getting my pd as well as some comms i do not want like my neighboring city and business comms. since i have a prime radio reference account i need to set the "signal" receiver and "voice" receiver to my "favorite" i have set in radio reference? is that correct?

@Dog i sent you a PM

Dog

it works now, thank you! i am getting my pd as well as some comms i do not want like my neighboring city and business comms. since i have a prime radio reference account i need to set the "signal" receiver and "voice" receiver to my "favorite" i have set in radio reference? is that correct?

@Dog i sent you a PM

Unfortunately you can't set your "favorite" from Radio Reference.

You can download the system. That will give you all the alpha tags etc for the system so it is easier to read.

On the top of the site window click the snowflake/gear/whatever symbol (you can hover over it and it will say "download this site", enter your radio reference user name and password and click download.

Then go to this page, go down to the rank section and it will explain how to block talk groups etc.

UniTrunker | Voice Following

You can click the "Home" button (far left, looks like a house) on the site window, then click through the tabs. The "Groups" tabs are the talk groups. You can go through there to set a lot of the ranks. If it is a large system it can get a bit tedious. To edit it you have to click in a field then click the efit button at the top (looks like a pen). You can hover over the buttons at the top and they will tell you what they do.

Last edited:

trauts14

thank you @Dog
i hear a loud squelch for for second after each transmission when i monitor my local frequencies. is this a squelch issue?

Dog

thank you @Dog
i hear a loud squelch for for second after each transmission when i monitor my local frequencies. is this a squelch issue?

Check the Deemphisis check box right above mute. On the voice receiver, not the signal receiver.

trauts14

thank you, the deemphasis box is checked.
i want to monitor: High Point Public Safety Trunking System, High Point, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies which is basically 854 to 860mhz. my dongle is monitoring 851 and maxing out at 857ish. is this normal? at this point i would love to not hear Greensboro, NC comms and only High Point, NC cops/fire and maybe ems if that is required.

my signal receiver is still setup up for 1 dongle....except for when @Dog said i need to change it to 1 VCO....if that matters

it appears i have 2 control channels setup based on my screenshot:

Attachments

• control.jpg
    control.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.