Decidng p25 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog

thank you, the deemphasis box is checked.
i want to monitor: High Point Public Safety Trunking System, High Point, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies which is basically 854 to 860mhz. my dongle is monitoring 851 and maxing out at 857ish. is this normal? at this point i would love to not hear Greensboro, NC comms and only High Point, NC cops/fire and maybe ems if that is required.

It is following where the control channel tells it to go. As long as it is in the range that the dongle covers (25mhz to 1600mhz I believe) it is fine.

If you change the rank of a talk group you don't want to listen to higher than 50 (ie 60) you won't hear that talk group.

The lower the rank the higher the priority. If you change the rank of your local police to 30, Unitrunker will drop whatever it is listening to and change to that conversation.

That is another reason why 2 dongles are better. One dongle can listen to the control channel constantly and change to higher rank calls.

I apologize insert "priority" where I mention rank for talk groups. Rank is 50 any priority higher than 50 won't be played. Any priority lower than 50 will be played in lowest number priority first. A talk group with a priority of 5 will be followed instead of a talk group with a priority of 10.

You can set the priorities of each talk group to whatever you want.

Last edited:

trauts14

since my previous pic (i edited the last post) shows 2 control channels, do i need to set both the "voice" receiver and the "signal" receiver to the same freq?
i did not see exactly where i can config the "rank" of a callgroup.

Dog

When i set up a new system this is how I start setting everything.

In the bottom part of the site window are the calls that the control channel sees.

When I see a talk group I want to hear I double click it. A window will popup with the group ID, tag, label etc. I change the priority to something lower than 50. In my case my city PD is 30, fire is 35, etc. Next city over is PD 40, fire 45, etc.

If I see a talk group I don't ever want to hear I change the priority to 60.

Dog

since my previous pic (i edited the last post) shows 2 control channels, do i need to set both the "voice" receiver and the "signal" receiver to the same freq?
i did not see exactly where i can config the "rank" of a callgroup.

It actually has 4 control channels marked. Those were marked when you downloaded the system from RadioReference database.

You leave the signal receiver parked on the control channel. Right now it is 856.4875. Most of they time they don't change often but sometimes they do. If you lose signal on the system one day you can try the other 3 frequencies listed as alternate control channels.

You can leave the park frequency on the voice receiver as 0.000000.

I edited post 61 and explained some more in post 63 about the priority (not rank)

This page explains rank and priority

UniTrunker | Voice Following

trauts14

https://youtu.be/p7WylrdwvmI is my current settings. i feel like when i changed the control for the "signal" receiver this problem happened. i only changed it because based on radio reference the control channel for my local PD changed. i am attempting to monitor high point, nc police/fire

Dog

99% of the time you don't need to touch the signal receiver. Once it decoding the control channel you don't need to touch it.

If you have a green signal strength in the site window DON"T TOUCH IT.

Set it to the 856.4875 and leave it (unless you lose the signal but you didn't say you lost the signal.)

trauts14

thanks. the signal receiver is the same it has been. maybe the i adjusted the "priority" of the neighboring city's PD i messed it up. i will check. btw, the green status bar in no longer present and my vid my show. clearly i did something wrong.

Dog

On the signal receiver In the signal section at the bottom of the VCO tab. Check the chase box. Make sure discover unchecked itself. What this does is goes through the 4 marked control channels and finds the active one.

If that doesn't get your green signal strength back you will have to manually enter each of the 4 listed control channels to find the active one.

Dog

this makes me wonder how the person providing the local High Point PD/FIRE/EMS ( radio reference/broadcastify) stream manages to "weed out" the greensboro pd traffic.

They use a scanner. Scanners have a different method of programming favorites, etc.

This is a quote from the feed page:
I have a Uniden Trunk Tracker IV - BCD996T. It is configured for use within the High Point, NC area to monitor Police, Fire, and Guilford County EMS Dispatch.

It really isn't that bad to weed out what you want to hear and what you don't in Unitrunker once you get the hang of it. Just takes a little time.

Last edited:

trauts14

I had to set my control channel in the VOICE VCO. Using an old scanner I confirmed 856.487 is my control channel. the VOICE VCO does not want to play it seems. my status bar is mostly green (sometimes yellow.) i am not getting audio. in fact i am seeing my neighboring city (greensboro) show up a great deal, but not my city i want to monitor (high point).

Attachments

• pic86755.jpg
    pic86755.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 202
  • signal VCO.jpg
    signal VCO.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 234
  • status bar.jpg
    status bar.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 211
  • voice VCO.jpg
    voice VCO.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

Dog

Greensboro and High Point are different systems as seen here:

High Point P25 Trunking System, High Point, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Greensboro / Guilford County Trunking System, Greensboro, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

856.4875 That you have your control channel set to is the Greensboro system

The 4 control channels for High Point are 858.1375 main, 859.4375 alternate, 858.4375 alternate, 857.4375 alternate.

Use which ever one of those is active control channel. Not any other frequency.

Why did you "have to set your VOICE VCO to the control channel"? That doesn't make any sense. If you set the voice VCO to the control channel you will hear the control channel audio when there are no conversations and it is "parked". Either set it to 0.0000 or an inactive frequency, it doesn't matter what frequency as long as it is inactive.

All of the talk groups on the High Point system are digital. You won't hear any conversations without DSD+

You should see the talk groups changing in the listen section of the voice receiver.

Last edited:

trauts14

I feel like the RTL tutorial mentioned setting the Voice VCO to the control channel. I will fix that. My wrong control channel would explain why I was not hear my local PD. Thanks for the help. I will fix it tonight .

trauts14

858.1375 is active mt my local system i want to monitor. i set the voice VCO to "0.0"
i set the Signal VCO to 858.1375
the "listen" window does not open up/appear as it did last night.
the voice VCO will not "play" when i press play. it says, "stopped"

i feel like i am taking steps back, when i was almost there. thanks for the assistance.

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 196

Dog

You are close, you had it working yesterday.

Please close all of Unitrunker and take a video of you trying to run it. Show the info and VCO tabs for both receivers.

Dog

First problem you aren't getting enough signal for Unitrunker to open the site window.

Are you sure 858.1375 is a control channel and not just digital noise? Have you tried the other 3 frequencies?

Uncheck Auto Gain. Where did you get the number "15" for drift correct?

Everything else on the signal receiver looks ok.

On the voice receiver info tab uncheck auto gain.

On the VCO tab check P25 in the voice section.

As far as the receiver not playing it acts like something else is using the dongle. Possibly a windows issue I would suggest rebooting the computer and see if that helps.

As far as I can tell all the settings look close the couple I mentioned could help or not that is trial and error.

So in conclusion, you need to find the correct control channel or why you aren't getting a good enough signal for Unitrunker to decode the system and reboot.

trauts14

i unchecked, "autogain."
i probably set drift correct to 15 when i used a tutorial for single dongle and never changed it for 2 dongles as i am using now.

what do you recommend i set for drift correct?

checked all 4 control freqs today with an old scanner and 858.1375 is the only one with continuous noise.

i will reboot again and maybe try different USB ports and move the antennas to trouble shoot things. thank for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.