Decisions, decisions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
Looking at buying a bc 785d or 796 d. The biggest diffference as I can see is this;

BC 796 - APCO 25 Digital Operation - Including 9600 Baud C4FM & CQPSK*

BC 785 - APCO 25 Digital Ready - Requires the installation of Uniden's BCi 25D Digital Card in order to monitor APCO P-25 Digital Systems,

Absent the fact you have to buy the card for the 785 it would seem to the green eye that the 9600 is much faster? Is that accurate and has anyone compared them side by side doing digital or apco-25? Please explain in detail any experience or knowledge on the matter, thanks.

DELCOLHFC

The 9600 baud rate refers to the system being monitored, not scanner speed per se. The BCi 25D card is no longer in production and is almost impossible to find and very expensive if you do find it. Basically as I understand it the the 785 with the card would not be able to follow a 9600 baud system.
I have read your other threads about the "feel and look" of these fine older scanners but I really think that when it comes to using them you would be happier in the long run with a more modern 996 (either model).
I'm sure others with more 785 / 796 experience will chime in here also.
Good luck!

JoeyC

I have both. I think the digital decode and quality on both are equal. In addition to the differences you have already pointed out, the only other thing I can think of is that the 796 will display text tags on already programmed talkgroups when in SRCH mode on a trunked system, where the 785 will not.
Oh, and the 785 will not support rebanding where the 796 is supposed to with an update I believe I heard.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
The 9600 baud rate refers to the system being monitored, not scanner speed per se. The BCi 25D card is no longer in production and is almost impossible to find and very expensive if you do find it. Basically as I understand it the the 785 with the card would not be able to follow a 9600 baud system.
I have read your other threads about the "feel and look" of these fine older scanners but I really think that when it comes to using them you would be happier in the long run with a more modern 996 (either model).
I'm sure others with more 785 / 796 experience will chime in here also.
Good luck!

Thanks.. And it's nice to know I have ONE fan of my posts (lol) Yeah you are absolutely right, it is almost the rebble in me where I am doing everything to NOT buy a 996 or xt. I DO NOT like the look or feel. Others I have spoken to have expressed simiar concerns. In the beginning I didnt like the seven series either but warmed up to them. As I see it I can get everything I want in the 796 or 785 for 250 a pop. You say repairs are not readily to be gotten? Uniden themselves dont service this series -7's? I dont know, decisions,,decisions..... If only I liked the look of the 996. It reminds me of an 80's tape deck!! Anyone else??

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
I have both. I think the digital decode and quality on both are equal. In addition to the differences you have already pointed out, the only other thing I can think of is that the 796 will display text tags on already programmed talkgroups when in SRCH mode on a trunked system, where the 785 will not.
Oh, and the 785 will not support rebanding where the 796 is supposed to with an update I believe I heard.

Thanks much. That is HUGE!!! So when searching or scanning a programmed talk group (s) text tags wont display on the 785? What is there purpose then? I thought I read over 1500 text tags are available to 1000 cahnnels in the 796. So that means that they are all mix and matchable depending on what frequency calls what, correct? In other words you could be scanning all 1000 channels and any text tag is available depending on if it is called?

JoeyC

No. Conventionally, you program a text tag to each channel.
What I was saying was about SEARCHING in a trunked system. If you have a set of talkgroups text-tagged in LISTS then the text tag will display when in SEARCH mode also on the 796. In the 785 they will not. The Text Tags always display (in both radios) if programmed when you are SCANNING.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
No. Conventionally, you program a text tag to each channel.
What I was saying was about SEARCHING in a trunked system. If you have a set of talkgroups text-tagged in LISTS then the text tag will display when in SEARCH mode also on the 796. In the 785 they will not. The Text Tags always display (in both radios) if programmed when you are SCANNING.

Got it, my mistake; Sloppy tired!

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
having had a 296, 996T, and now 396XT, the massive improvement in digital decoding with the XT models is well worth the price.

MetalCarnage

I agree with others in going for a newer model, i have a 796D installed in my car, and its a great scanner which decodes great with a good antenna, and has been very reliable with no problems, BUT owning a 396 as well, i would LOVE to have alot of the features in the 796 such as better decode (i wont say that it decodes better per se, on a full signal i dont notice must difference, but with weaker signals the 396 kicks the 796's ass) more memory, and capability of having more then 10 systems/banks.

If i wasnt a cheap ass, and as long as i have no reason to replace my 796 since it still works fine, i would take a 996 in a heart beat. My two cents, if you are buying new, go to the 996, the 796 is a dinosaur now, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.