Decisions decisions

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought the ARRL end-fed half wave antenna kit, it comes with 66' of wire. I'm trying to decide if I want to configure it as straight wire antenna, sloper or inverted "V". The electrical service comes in to the back of the house and there are literally no trees in the backyard. Because of the electric lines my only real choice is to mount the antenna using a 6' chain link fence post for the PVC supports. The electric lines hopefully won't cause too many problems with reception. That's what I have to work with. I rent and my landlord is ok with my antennas, so that's not a problem.

Would one of the configurations be better than another? Of my choices, the sloper or inverted V would be easier to put up since I'd only need one support vs two with a straight wire.

kk9h

Premium Subscriber
I suggest figuring out a way to get your antenna as high and in the clear as you can while keeping it as far away from your power line as possible. Don't worry about the configuration other than to try to spread it out from end-to-end as much as you can. Given your restrictions, use either straight (preferred), inverted-V or sloper, which ever gets it as I described in my first sentence. 73, Don

Reactions: 522

Golay

For awhile I was using an end fed going to back fence. I supported it with a flagpole from Harbor Freight. It comes with 4 sections about 5' long that fit into each other. 20' tall when assembled. A bit pricey at $70. But it never bent and to be honest didn't seem to even sway whenever I was looking at it. Just a thought.

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
I suggest figuring out a way to get your antenna as high and in the clear as you can while keeping it as far away from your power line as possible. Don't worry about the configuration other than to try to spread it out from end-to-end as much as you can. Given your restrictions, use either straight (preferred), inverted-V or sloper, which ever gets it as I described in my first sentence. 73, Don

I was talking to one of the other members of my club about my antenna. He has a sloper for his shack & gets good results with it. So, I've decided to go with the sloper vs a horizontal wire. Another reason for the sloper is the electric lines cross the yard at a bit of an angle, it's furthest from the fence where it enters the house. I can have a higher mast closer to the house & a shorter one where the lines cross the fence & not have to worry about either one falling across the electric lines. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris
KB3SCN

Last edited:

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
For awhile I was using an end fed going to back fence. I supported it with a flagpole from Harbor Freight. It comes with 4 sections about 5' long that fit into each other. 20' tall when assembled. A bit pricey at $70. But it never bent and to be honest didn't seem to even sway whenever I was looking at it. Just a thought.
I was talking to another ham at the club about my search for sectional fiberglass poles. I told him I'd seen a few sectional fiberglass masts on RV sites, but they all looked a bit too thin & bendy for semi-permanant use. Lo & behold, he has a portable fiberglass mast set up with 12 sections plus two bases for them. He gave me a good deal on them. I've already got everything I need to put guy-wires on them.
Thanks for the suggestion of Harbor Freight, I'd forgotten about them. I'll keep them in mind for the future though.

Chris
KB3SCN

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
Have you looked at the painter's pole selections?

I do use painter poles for my scanner antenna on the roof. They're great for smaller antennas, but I need to go up between 20-25'. I don't know that 25' painter pole would be sturdy enough. They make pretty good portable masts too. Thanks for the suggestion.