Decode Low Power Devices with Rsp1a

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC_zero_DSU

I found that it is possible to decode low power devices with an rtl-sdr using the software rtl433. But it apparently doesn't support the Rsp1a. Are there any software options for doing this with the Rsp1a? Or is there a way to make the Rsp1a look like an rtl-sdr to the rtl433 software?

deadite66

Does it throw an error with the rsp1a?, i've got it to work with my rsp2 via soapysdr.

KC_zero_DSU

Does it throw an error with the rsp1a?, i've got it to work with my rsp2 via soapysdr.

It says "No supported devices found". What basic command line switches do I need to use to run the program? I'm still pretty new to SDR so tell me more about SoapySDR and how that all works if you could please. Thanks

deadite66

with the sdrplay and soapy libs installed you can enable soapy support when compiling with 'cmake -DENABLE_SOAPYSDR=ON'

KC_zero_DSU

with the sdrplay and soapy libs installed you can enable soapy support when compiling with 'cmake -DENABLE_SOAPYSDR=ON'

Perhaps I should have mentioned I am using Windows 10. Yep I'm lost now. Thought I was on the right track but I guess not. I installed the Pothos SDR development environment which has prebuilt SoapySdr binaries for Windows. But I, thinking I needed it, also installed Visual Studio, Numpy, SwigWin, Python 2.7 and Cmake. Obviously your talking about building it from source, is that what I need to do in order for it to work correctly for the Rsp1a.? Or can I somehow use the prebuilt binaries in the Pothos SDR development environment.? I'm pretty new to SDR and compiling and building stuff is doable but not something I'm proficient at. I did some compiling and building on Linux a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away so I could use a little more detail and guidance on all of this. Do you think you could offer some further assistance please?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
KC,
SDRPlay has an EXTIO plugin and manual over on their website. It might allow rtl433 to access the RSP1A. I just quickly looked over the rtl433 and didn't notice if it adds significant function for 433 type device, likely it does and I don't notice. I would recommend using SDRUno the native application for the RSP1A just to see what you can pickup. Then move onto rtl433 if it plays well with EXTIO. I saw something in the manual that the application must be written to use EXTIO plugins. It suggests not all will do so.
Good Luck,
Mike

KC_zero_DSU

KC,
SDRPlay has an EXTIO plugin and manual over on their website. It might allow rtl433 to access the RSP1A. I just quickly looked over the rtl433 and didn't notice if it adds significant function for 433 type device, likely it does and I don't notice. I would recommend using SDRUno the native application for the RSP1A just to see what you can pickup. Then move onto rtl433 if it plays well with EXTIO. I saw something in the manual that the application must be written to use EXTIO plugins. It suggests not all will do so.
Good Luck,
Mike

I have scanned around the 433mhz range using SdrUno and see about a dozen or so distinct blips and pulses but beings that my computer and other equipment is near by I imagine that some of that could be coming from my own equipment. I do know that one of my neighbors has one of those Davis weather stations and also has a smart home generator that I believe has sensors that transmit data. I went back and started from scratch and uninstalled the pre-built SoapySdr and figured out how to compile and build it using Cmake and Visual Studio after installing and configuring the prerequisites and adding the appropriate environment variables. Then did the same with the SdrPlay plugin for Soapy. Now I got that much working and Rtl_433 recognizes my Rsp1a, when I type Rtl_433 -d sdrplay I no longer get the "no supported devices found" message. But beyond that I don't know how to get it to detect and decode anything or display any output on anything found. So I need to beef up on all the command line switches and figure out how to create the rtl_433.conf file they mention, I guess there are different .conf files you can download or create for whatever device your trying to decode. SoapySdr, from what I understand provides like an open source universal API to interface your device with software that wouldn't typically support it or the EXTIO plugin. I'm pretty sure rtl_433 doesn't support EXTIO. As it's name suggests it is designed to work with the rtl sdr's. I sure appreciate all the insight I can get on this though, so thanks for the response.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you made some progress which is always good. Seems like you are deep into the various software development tools and I expect you will meet your objective. If there is a chance of reaching the author of Rtl_433 maybe he can give some thoughts on using EXTIO. Somewhere out on the web must be a forum that can help.
Good Luck,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.