Decoding ACARS with portable scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to be traveling and would like to decode ACARS using my portable scanner Uniden BC125at and laptop running ACARSD software, I've tried in with limited success in the past, It seems like the microphone input level on computer and the volume on the scanner have to be just right Any suggestions on improving the decode rate?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Use line in, not microphone.

And also use a ground loop isolator between scanner and computer, or there will be audio distortion that will make decode more difficult and potentially damage the scanner.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I'm going to be traveling and would like to decode ACARS using my portable scanner Uniden BC125at and laptop running ACARSD software, I've tried in with limited success in the past, It seems like the microphone input level on computer and the volume on the scanner have to be just right Any suggestions on improving the decode rate?

If your laptop has a line-in jack, use it instead of the microphone jack. The microphone jacks are very, very sensitive to input signal levels and, as you found out, are very hard to get right. Line-in jacks are less sensitive. If you don't have a line-in jack, you may want to try a USB audio interface.

Edit: Sorry Jon, we were typing at the same time.

I've not used the ACARSD software, so I can't speak to it. May I sugget the PDW software for ACARS?

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/PDW

sheldonk

Premium Subscriber
I have always had good results using PDW on Window XP. I am using Windows 10/64 now and I cant install the slicer driver that comes with the PDW. Any advice on how this might be done will be appreciated greatly. Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also don't use squelch - keep the squelch off, even tho you don't have any signal. There is a sync signal that's very fast, and many scanners simply won't open up fast enough to hear it. Without hearing that sync signal, no decoding occurs.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.