Decoding MOTOTRBO with a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rngr2000

I read that it can be done. Can someone give me a step by step of the process. I understand I need Linux, I have a PC I can install it on, but I have never used Linux so it's all new to me. As for a scanner I have a RS Pro-163. Is this gonna work or do I need to go scanner shopping?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This will get you started - there's a link in the first paragraph to the forum where this is discussed in detail. You will need a discriminator tapped scanner for this...and there is a Windows port of the software...

DSD Decoder- the RR Wiki

Mike

thomast77

I read that it can be done. Can someone give me a step by step of the process. I understand I need Linux, I have a PC I can install it on, but I have never used Linux so it's all new to me. As for a scanner I have a RS Pro-163. Is this gonna work or do I need to go scanner shopping?

You won't need linux DSD will work on windows

I have searched and have not found an answer to this yet, so I am hoping someone can help me. I have DSD for Windows downloaded and can open it, however, is there a way to have it use the output of my Pro-106 via the USB PC/IF port without needing to tap the discriminator on the board? My cable is set as COM3, but I can change it if need be to COM2 if that would make a difference. I have a MotoTRBO system (Local Electric Co-op) that I would like to monitor.

313RADIO

No you must physically open the 106 and tap baseband audio

PC/IF port on the 106 will only send 5v TTL decoded control channel signalling - no RF no IF

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No you must physically open the 106 and tap baseband audio

Thanks. They are not that important that I am going risk screwing up an expensive piece of equipment. As it is, I just learned that my local city and county PD are switching to digital within 45 days and they are going 100% encrypted. At least I still have the Fire Department to listen to, they already switched to digital, but no encryption. My county police and city police will be the only users with the exception of the radio shop to use encryption. AHHHHHHHH!!! I guess the next big bummer is when they flip the switch to P25 Phase 2, and not the X2-TDMA. I am really bummed out about this.

Question....Can I use my old Pro-97 or does it not support the channel spacing needed...I think the channels are 6.25.

Last edited:

313RADIO

I think x2/p2 is 12.5 real bandwidth /2 alternating timeslots - 6.25 virtual bandwidth? U should be fine if u wanna use the 97

DickH

Thanks. They are not that important that I am going risk screwing up an expensive piece of equipment. As it is, I just learned that my local city and county PD are switching to digital within 45 days and they are going 100% encrypted. At least I still have the Fire Department to listen to, they already switched to digital, but no encryption. My county police and city police will be the only users with the exception of the radio shop to use encryption. AHHHHHHHH!!! I guess the next big bummer is when they flip the switch to P25 Phase 2, and not the X2-TDMA. I am really bummed out about this.

Question....Can I use my old Pro-97 or does it not support the channel spacing needed...I think the channels are 6.25.

Regardless of the channel spacing, the PRO-97 is analog only - no digital.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
True but irrelevant - DSD can handle P25 phase 1 - there are several working setups listing this in the article

Mike

What agency?

Liberty County Sheriffs Department and Midway Police Department for sure. I was told this information by a Midway Police Officer last night. Walthourville Police also use the Sheriffs channel, so I am pretty sure they will be encrypted also. I am located in Liberty County, Georgia.

I think x2/p2 is 12.5 real bandwidth /2 alternating timeslots - 6.25 virtual bandwidth? U should be fine if u wanna use the 97

I want to monitor a MotoTRBO system via DSD and I know the control channel is 462.16250. The other channels that are used are:

Will the pro-97 tune to these channels? I have it put in storage right now, that is why I havent pulled it to try it. I will keep it there unless it will be of use.

Thanks for the assistance!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<snip>
Will the pro-97 tune to these channels? I have it put in storage right now, that is why I havent pulled it to try it. I will keep it there unless it will be of use.

Thanks for the assistance!

According to page 81 of the owner's manual, it should...Mike

According to page 81 of the owner's manual, it should...Mike

Thank you. I do not know why I just did not look online for the manual. I must be having a brain fart. I suppose I will be going to RadioShack to get some parts. I shall tackle this in the next week or two.

Many thanks again!

rngr2000

I have an old bearcat scanner that I will try to tap into the discriminator on. Not gonna risk messing up my 163. Once I get that done ill download the software and give this a shot. I hope I dont figure out that the system I'm trying to monitor is encrypted once I get all of this figured out. I'll let y'all know how this works out.

I have an old bearcat scanner that I will try to tap into the discriminator on. Not gonna risk messing up my 163. Once I get that done ill download the software and give this a shot. I hope I dont figure out that the system I'm trying to monitor is encrypted once I get all of this figured out. I'll let y'all know how this works out.

I know this may be a shot in the dark, but you can always try and contact someone who uses or the person in charge of the system and ask them. Either they will tell you yes or no, or they will begin questioning why you want to know and possibly get nasty if they are hotheaded and think that you have no business knowing. It wouldn't hurt to ask. I know if I email the local 911 director, he will confirm if the police are encrypting or not. I am not going to bother right now since I will know by the end of next month.

If someone tells you that they are, then you wouldn't have to worry about messing up the bearcat since you wouldn't need to modify it then since the system would be unable to be monitored anyway.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
While I won't condone it, if they are using the basic encryption, it wouldn't take much to figure it out. Most of the key length is located in the Color and Time slot, which you can find out using DSD. Other than that maybe a few hours to a day to crack. I have played with it on my own radios using random keys I didn't know ahead of time. Now this is using an actual MOTOTRBO radio not a scanner to decode.

While I won't condone it, if they are using the basic encryption, it wouldn't take much to figure it out. Most of the key length is located in the Color and Time slot, which you can find out using DSD. Other than that maybe a few hours to a day to crack. I have played with it on my own radios using random keys I didn't know ahead of time. Now this is using an actual MOTOTRBO radio not a scanner to decode.

That certainly is interesting information, however, I am not even going to attempt to try and figure any of that out just because of the repercussions that can come from attempting to access something that you otherwise should not have access to, let alone actually gaining successful access to the system voice. I think we should probably not continue discussing the ability to figure out the key, not only to cover out rears, but also to keep RR out of any issues that could arise. :)

rngr2000

Those of you that monitor MOTOTRBO with an actual MOTOTRBO radio, how are you programming the radio. I thought Motorola used proprietary software that is next to impossible to get access to.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Those of you that monitor MOTOTRBO with an actual MOTOTRBO radio, how are you programming the radio. I thought Motorola used proprietary software that is next to impossible to get access to.

A lot of people on here have jobs that allow access to or the ability to purchase such software......and there are some people who obtain it illegally from the internet...although it violates the rules of this site to go into detail on that.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
MotoTrbo software can be purchased by anyone just like any of the radio programing software. I has to be purchased from Motorola because of licensing issues i.e. a dealer cannot sell it to you. The appropriate programing cables are also available. Call Motorola parts for current pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.