Decoding the SW Radiogram digital broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some of you might have heard about the SW Radiogram program that my friend Dr. Kim Andrew Elliott KD9XB runs. It's a weekly show broadcast on (currently) 2 stations, from 3 programs at various times. If you are a newcomer and would like to try your hand at this, we now have a wiki article that can help you …

Note that you don't even need a HF radio - you can use an online radio to do it, but you will need some software for your PC. There is also TIVAR which can decode these broadcasts on an Android device. Currently the 2 modes being used are MFSK32 and 64. While FLDigi is the software of choice, Ham Radio Deluxe and MultiPSK will both do the job - and the article above has examples of each in action. A couple of the multi-kilobuck packages can do it too, but you certainly don't need them to decode these broadcasts.

There are dedicated Facebook and Twitter pages devoted to the SW Radiogram broadcasts with further examples of the decoding.

Mike

S

simpilo

Decoding Shortwave Radiogram on a budget!
I decode many of them and you don't really need a expensive radio My Radiwow R-108 does a well enough job. Best if it is set to 4khz filter and music tone setting. I found 3khz filter setting can mess with the 1500hz sync tone causing TIVAR to miss. Last three weekends in images using a budget radio.
swrg107.pngswrg108.jpgswrg109.png

Mighty KBC on 9925khz Sundays 000-0200z transmits 1 minute of MFSK64 at or about 0130z in the broadcast. Much farther than WRMI and WINB from me. Still decent decodes.
2019-7-14_012539z.jpg

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've added a section for how to configure the RSID feature for FLDigi (and presumably TIVAR), DM780 and MultiPSK. While I have FLDigi, additional details for TIVAR (if needed), MultiPSK and DM780 (part of Ham Radio Deluxe) are badly needed.

If the RSID feature isn't set up properly you might miss broadcasts that were otherwise coming in fine. The reason has to do with the detection of the tone, which is addressed in the above article

Mike

S

simpilo

Thanks for adding in the Radiwow R-108. Might even cause Amazon to sell out of this neat little radio. I use it daily. Now to find an external 455khz BFO for it :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Would you like to copy the SWR broadcasts on an Android tablet or phone? You can with TIVAR, and John VK2ETA wrote a Quick Start guide (it's a PDF file) for it. It can be found as a link in the following article.

John is willing to answer questions about the software. You can touch base with him at VK2ETA (at) gmail (dot) com or use the nbems reflector at groups.io. That group often discusses AndFLMsg, from which TIVAR was derived.

Mike

S

simpilo

I don't know if it's the phone or TIVAR but sometimes when loaded it isn't getting any audio when a set of earbuds with in-line microphone. This is verified with a black waterfall. Reinserting the headset plug will wake it up.

S

simpilo

Good reception from WINB 9265khz this evening at 2330z. Decoded the radiogram good image decodes. MFSK 32 and MFSK 64
IMG_2019-09-05_19-23-36.JPG

S

simpilo

Shortwave Radiogram 117 Images via WRMI 0800-0830z Sunday Sept 15 2019 Radiwow R-108 10 foot antenna
IMG_2019-09-15_03-35-04.JPG

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nice! There is a Facebook page (listed on the announcement) where there are several others that are doing the decoding and analyzing.

Mike

S

simpilo

Nice! There is a Facebook page (listed on the announcement) where there are several others that are doing the decoding and analyzing.

Mike
I appreciate the tip. I tried that Facebook thing and It's not my cuppa tea. I prefer calling my family on the phone or text them. Facebook just seems so meme-ish which is wierd in my opinion. Sharing it here is fine. I was hoping other's will share their decodes just the same here on RR.

S

simpilo

Shortwave Radiogram #119 via WRMI 15770khz 1300-1330z Friday, Sept. 27,2019 12/12 images
IMG_2019-09-27_08-35-26.JPGIMG_2019-09-27_08-38-34.JPG

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Those of you that use MultiPSK might want to upgrade. There was a recent announcement of a new version that would automatically store pictures sent in MFSK16/32 or 64. The website is linked below...

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.