Decrease in traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacScanner

Premium Subscriber
I’ve noticed a decrease in radio traffic with Sacramento Police and dispatchers. Does this mean they are using their in-car computer terminals more frequently for communications?

SacScanner

Premium Subscriber
What new system? I’m monitoring their simulcast with a SDS 200 with the channel on hold. Many times the dispatcher just says “I got your message” or “check”.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Program in Site 012 - 4 control channel frequencies. SCAN it. Don't hold on anything. I recommend scanning ONLY the Sac system and nothing else on the same scanner. It's very active. My only other thought is wondering what TalkGroups you have programmed.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What new system? I’m monitoring their simulcast with a SDS 200 with the channel on hold. Many times the dispatcher just says “I got your message” or “check”.
Holding on a talkgroup is wrong. You need to hold on a site, or the scanner will continue to scan all sites it thinks are in range.
Function, then Department.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber

Same here, I think they are using their MDT more for communications than anything, or cell. I’ve been hearing “check your MDT, message on MDT, email me, call me, etc.”

WB9YBM

I’ve noticed a decrease in radio traffic with Sacramento Police and dispatchers. Does this mean they are using their in-car computer terminals more frequently for communications?

Either that, or they've moved to a different frequency, and/or starting with a digital/encrypted system...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I remember scanning back before 1975 when my scanner spent most of its time parked on SSD ch 1. There was always sooo much traffic. Then they added MDTs and things got reasonable (audio-wise). Over the years the voice traffic has been fairly busy, although I know most calls are being computer dispatched. A change now could simply be moving more calls to that system, or at least more of the details that were previously voiced over-the-air.

stingray327

Back in 1975 I used a Regency 10 channel scanner that required crystals. Now I have kept up to date from that to programmable scanners to trunking to current. With the Home Patrol II and BCD 436 I notice more different departments are starting to disappear? So they must be switching over to some new system. I just hope the Sentinel system keeps up with the new changes unless those certain departments go encryption then all of the scanners are obsolete again.:eek::confused:

WB9YBM

I just hope the Sentinel system keeps up with the new changes unless those certain departments go encryption then all of the scanners are obsolete again.:eek::confused:

Reminds me of the proverb about computers: there are only two types, outdated ones and those being developed. Seems like radio communications is following in the same footsteps.

SacScanner

Premium Subscriber
There is certainly less radio traffic on the Sac PD channels. They must be using their in-car Mobile Data Terminals more and more for communication.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
I have never heard large amounts of traffic on any SRRCS talkgroup (save for the occasional fire channel and police tac). There have been many times where my trip down the hill to Folsom with my SDS100 have been pretty quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.