Dedicate a TRX-2 for DMR & NXDN Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I currently own a SDS200 and two BCD536HP scanners and all is well. I've been considering purchasing Uniden's DMR & NXDN upgrades for just one of my scanners. I can't decide if I should upgrade the SDS200 or one of the BCD536HP's. After considering the cost up the upgrades it got me to thinking if I should try a Whistler TRX-2 as it comes with both DMR & NXDN. I can get a new TRX-2 for a tad over $400. The Uniden upgrades along would cost me about $100. For about $300 more I can get the TRX-2 instead and have an additional scanner at the same time!

Is there any Pro's & Con's for running DMR/NXDN on a TRX-2 vs Uniden's scanners? I seem to recall the TRX-2 doesn't do trunking in DMR mode? Anything else to consider?

Thanks!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
#1 They do not like DMR SIMULCAST not even when it could see one site 1 mile away stand outside and see the tower.
#2 If it is not a big trunking system it will work great.
#3 If it is a very busy system may miss traffic.
#4 Frontenac overloads easy.
As tested on the Henry County SIMULCAST System and also test on the NXDN Tennessee Homeland Multi Site System

Last edited:

eyes00only

I've just about given up on the hobby but force myself to use the 5 scanners I have sometimes. I was playing with a search set to only NXDN today and didn't get too many hits. I just listened to the recordings and there was a lot of Spanish and even music broadcast. It used to be illegal to transmit music I thought.
I did not know that there was DMR simulcast. Quite a bit of DMR around and I'm guessing that my TRX-1 is not too good on receiving the simulcast DMR.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I currently own a SDS200 and two BCD536HP scanners and all is well. I've been considering purchasing Uniden's DMR & NXDN upgrades for just one of my scanners. I can't decide if I should upgrade the SDS200 or one of the BCD536HP's. After considering the cost up the upgrades it got me to thinking if I should try a Whistler TRX-2 as it comes with both DMR & NXDN. I can get a new TRX-2 for a tad over $400. The Uniden upgrades along would cost me about $100. For about $300 more I can get the TRX-2 instead and have an additional scanner at the same time!

Is there any Pro's & Con's for running DMR/NXDN on a TRX-2 vs Uniden's scanners? I seem to recall the TRX-2 doesn't do trunking in DMR mode? Anything else to consider?

Thanks!
The Whistler scanners, including the TRX-1 7 TRX-2, do not trunk track the systems, so trying to 'hold' on a specific talkgroup is not always user friendly. For the DMR & NXDN systems that I do monitor (2 NXDN & 1 DMR public safety trunked systems, plus a large regional medevac provider is on a multi site DMR system), I use the Uniden scanners so that I can track the talkgroups accurately.

As budd's already noted, if it's a lightly loaded DMR or NXDN system, the TRX series may do an acceptable job of monitoring the system, Too much traffic, and you may miss something you would have been interested in.

What I do find useful is to use my TRX-1 when trying to identify a new system. With the TRX, I can create a 'dummy' system with the suspected frequencies (those on the license), and add a wildcard. With the Whistler scanners, I can set that wildcard so that any activity captured will be recorded. (With the Uniden scanners, you can run ID Search, but you cannot only record new found TGIDs. You can do that in a discovery session, but only after you have documented the LCNs in use.)

I let the TRX-1 scan, collecting recordings of whatever it hears on the suspected system. Then, putting the SD card in a reader, I can sort the recordings using the Audio tab on EZ-Scan. I sort them by TGID, then select all of those for one TGID at one time. That gives me a series of audio clips, in sequential order, that I can listen to. Having a number of clips in one string, I find it easier to determine what that talkgroup is used for. I can then add, then lockout, identified talkgroups, so that running the scanner again will only capture TGIDs that have not yet been documented. This also gives me a better view of which frequencies, and Color (or RAN) Code are used. For most of the Uhf frequencies in my area that are used for DMR, there are multiple users, so being able to narrow the search to the user in question is helpful.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
buddrousa, are you sure that you meant DMR Simulcast?
#1 They do not like DMR SIMULCAST not even when it could see one site 1 mile away stand outside and see the tower.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
When Whistler first took on GRE scanners I purchased three WS-1098 scanners. One for me and two for friends of mine. I felt they worked pretty good and even did a respectable job of receiving Macomb County, Michigan's simulcast system. How does the TRX-2 compare to that earlier model. Why was the WS-1098 discontinued and what did the TRX-2 do different or better?

AF1US

Premium Subscriber
The Henry County Tn System when phase 2 is done will have 5 plus sites 5 frequencies 9 talk paths if I remember 3 sites are up right now.
@buddrousa - I just moved to Henry County and have the DMR upgrade on my 536HP but am having trouble receiving the DMR signals. I am using Radio Reference information but nothing. Do you have LCN's and frequencies for the HENRIS system so I can check my data?
Thank you - Brian AF1US

Ubbe

am having trouble receiving the DMR signals.
It's a simulcast system so you might have to use a directional antenna or move your current antenna around to find a place where it will receive only one of the sites.

First check that you are within system coverage by listening to the control channel. Enter the frequency by Channel+frequency+Channel and listen to the datasignal. It would automaticly switch over to digital mode and mute the audio if you receive a clean signal. Then push Fn and Vol to get a bit error display. You would try to get as few bit errors as possible, maybe 5 as the most.

/Ubbe

AF1US

Premium Subscriber
I am squarely in between three different sites. The one at Buchanan and Paris are about the same distance away. Radio Reference lists 5 frequencies and states that it is a six-site system. They also list "Channel Numbers" but don't indicate which sites they are referring to, if that's critical. I looked at the system license on the FCC site and it broke the system down into sites by frequency and they have "Channel Numbers" (different from RR) so I entered the six (6) frequencies from the Paris site and their corresponding numbers but got nothing.

AF1US

Premium Subscriber
I have a P25 2 site Conventional Simulcast Repeater site 12 miles away from me.
You previously stated,
Yes just like a LTR system and it should work good for you as long as it is not a very busy system.
My TRX's are used until I can break the systems and get LCN's then my Unidens go to work.

Have you broken the system for Henry County, TN (HENRIS)? Just moved here and want to put my 536 to work - having issues.
Thanks, Brian

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Yes I broke it and it is POSTED but your 536 will not work DOWNTOWN even with the GROVE TOWER SITE in view from 1 mile away.
My TRX-x hates the system.
My x36's do not like the system.
But my SDS100's my SDS200 and the SEVERAL SDS SCANNERS I SET UP WORK GREAT.
When they add the filler sites in it will only get worse.
Also downtown near the Fire Station the following scanners do not work tested for a week.
996p2 325p2
536 436
TRX-1 TRX-2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.