Dedicated 700/800 pre-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpetraglia

Has anyone found a quality preamp for the 700/800 PS band. There are plenty for each separate band, but I have been unable to find one that covers both.

rbm

I use several Mini-Circuits ZQL-1900MLN pre-amps for that range.

This list price ( new ) is $265.

BUT ...... you can find them on ebay for less than $100.
I see one on there now for around $89 new.

Even though the specs are for 1850-1910 MHz, they perform very well down to around 450 MHz.
Around 700-800 MHz the noise figure is close to 1.0 dB and gain is around 28 dB.

Here's a test of one of mine.

This is what the amp looks like:

You can find the specs (in PDF format) can be found here:
www.directdatasheet.com/part_detail.php?part=ZQL-1900MLN&mfg=MINI-CIRCUITS

Rich

Some additional spare pre-amps. ;)

Last edited:

cpetraglia

Unfortunately, that's way too much gain for my needs. I would never buy a used pre-amp form Ebay. Who knows what its been through. I am looking for something in the 760 to 870 range. I need to keep it tight.
Thanks

cpetraglia

I have tried my Stridsberg 806-896 and it completely cuts off 775Mhz. I suppose I can use a broadband 5-1000 and see what happens. I just don't see the point of amplifying VHF and UHF when I don't need it. All it will do is de-sensitize the radios.
Thanks

cg

Premium Subscriber
Since the 700/800 band(s) are used on the same systems, there should be plenty or commercial grade equipment for these systems. It may take a little bit to flow down into the used market.
I have heard that this company makes some good products but have never dealt with them:
Low noise preamplifiers and microwave Gunnplexers

chris

cpetraglia

I am working with them right now on a custom pre-amp. They don't currently have anything in that range.
I have many pre-amps from them and they are great.

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you can post your results, that would be great. The CT Statewide system will be a 700/800 mix in the near future and I will be replacing several splitters/amps

cpetraglia

I tend to be a little weary of a noise factor of .5 db on a cheap amp. If you get a professional grade amp with a NF that low, your looking at $125.00. I just don't want a 2 Ghz wide open bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.