Defeating the neighbor's infrared detector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

floyd2006

To make a long story short, I have a non-communicating neighbor who's security light goes on every time I go outdoors at night and blasts into my backyard, hence making sitting out there at night and watching the stars a privacy invasion. Obviously, just an adjustment to the direction of his motion/heat detector to limit it to his own yard would be the answer. However, given the nature of the man, do any of you electronic bright guys know of a simple way to defeat it. I wondered about some sort of appropriate reflective tape on one of those whirling garden windmill flowers that you stick in the ground. Just something that would turn it on more frequently than he'd like. I'm sure I'll gain his respect. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.

RC54730

floyd2006 said:
To make a long story short, I have a non-communicating neighbor who's security light goes on every time I go outdoors at night and blasts into my backyard, hence making sitting out there at night and watching the stars a privacy invasion. Obviously, just an adjustment to the direction of his motion/heat detector to limit it to his own yard would be the answer. However, given the nature of the man, do any of you electronic bright guys know of a simple way to defeat it. I wondered about some sort of appropriate reflective tape on one of those whirling garden windmill flowers that you stick in the ground. Just something that would turn it on more frequently than he'd like. I'm sure I'll gain his respect. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.
Hey, now there's an idea - start a war with your neighbor! Let us know when it comes to blows between you two, and be sure to get it on video for YouTube... :)

XTS3000

Same situation here. Neighbors light goes on/off at least 100 times a night. I hooked my outside light to a X10 receiver. Using the software, I set the backdoor light to go on and off every 5 minutes. Made sure I pointed the lamp to shine into his kitchen/bedroom area.

I started this last night, so we'll see what happens.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
floyd2006 said:

Your idea won't work. It works by detecting body heat, and motion.

jpryor

Premium Subscriber
My back yard motion light can go off when warm heat is rising from the dryer vent. It also goes off when a nearby radio keys up. So try shooting some warm air towards that general direction, or see if an RF trigger will set it off.

hoser147

DanTSX said:
I was waiting on this answer Dan:lol: ...........If it is just motion put something in your yard that will constantly set it off, When his electric bill comes around he will look at what is causing the big problem. You can get those little windsocks that dont take much air movement to get them going. Hoser

D

DaveNF2G

Why not contact the town/village/city or whatever and find out about local nuisance ordinances? Maybe a letter from an official entity explaining to your neighbor that he must adjust his light or face fines would solve the problem, and you don't even have to start a battle over it.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
DaveNF2G said:
Why not contact the town/village/city or whatever and find out about local nuisance ordinances? Maybe a letter from an official entity explaining to your neighbor that he must adjust his light or face fines would solve the problem, and you don't even have to start a battle over it.

If they did their job in the first place in keeping crime away, he wouldnt need to have a hyperactive motion-activated light.

n1das

Just transmit with a VHF or UHF radio (on frequencies you're licensed for of course) with 25W or more power and the antenna placed relatively close to the light. My experience with these lights is that the motion detector circuitry tends to be VERY RF-susceptible and will trigger the light whenever it detects RF energy. It may not take much transmit power at all if you're close enough to it and it happens to be RF-susceptible enough at the frequency you transmit on.

frankh

If you can get to it, a little black electrical tape over the photocell on the light will make it trigger all day long, maybe causing them to leave it off. Failing that set up your own light, being as annoying as you can with it, may force a truce, or at least some understanding on their part. Good luck.

If you are intent on starting a neighbors war, just cut to the chase and take it out with a round of 12 ga buckshoot.

CalvinNutler

rfradioconsult said:
If you are intent on starting a neighbors war, just cut to the chase and take it out with a round of 12 ga buckshoot.

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are!! (Unless of course your the neighbor).

CapStar362

hahaha, why dont you ask him to turn down the sensitivity on the damn thing? and re-aim his lights? if he gives you a smartass answer, give him a smartass reply

car2back

n1das said:
Just transmit with a VHF or UHF radio (on frequencies you're licensed for of course) with 25W or more power and the antenna placed relatively close to the light. My experience with these lights is that the motion detector circuitry tends to be VERY RF-susceptible and will trigger the light whenever it detects RF energy. It may not take much transmit power at all if you're close enough to it and it happens to be RF-susceptible enough at the frequency you transmit on.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest, except using a beam antenna ;)

If it's really worth it, you could also go the legal route with a restraining order

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
OK, first off, go be a neighbor and let him know he's being irritating. If he decides not to be nice about it, then I recommend the following course of action:

1. Buy a large parabolic mirror and a black cloth cover for it.
2. Point it in such a way that the light from his security light will be redirected back at your neighbor's nearest window.
3. Uncover it after the sun goes down.
4. Pop a can of suds and enjoy the show!

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.