Defect Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

deputydog3

I live 1.4 miles from the main of CSX Rail-line here about halfway through the State of NC along I-95.
I would love to know what what frequencies the defect detectors operate on in this area, say around Selma, Kenly, Micro, Lucama, Wilson and Smithfield.
Also NS runs a main from Raleigh to New Bern going through Wilson Mills, Pine Level, Princeton and Goldsboro, parallel with US 70. I would love to know what frequencies they operate on if anyone knows what they are ?

reconrider8

they run on the local road channels not sure where you are around but unless your with in 10 or so miles you probley want hear the defect detector unless you have a good antenna under the right conditions

AlphaFive

defect detectors

I'm in Asheville, close the the service terminal here, the two freqs busy for me are 160.950, and 161.250. I don't monitor often but what I hear sounds like some "defect detecting". That's the best I can do, take care

JohnDistai

What does one hear when listening to a "defect detector"? Do you get a voice explanation of the defect?

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
Some detectors remain silent unless there is a defect to report. Many however, do announce identifying information (mile post), train speed, sometimes temperature, axle count and "no defects, no defects" if that's the case. Usually with a defect it will announce "stop your train. stop your train" and an approximate axle number at which point, the crew must inspect the train. "Defects" can be for hot boxes (bearings)" high, wide or shifted load or, dragging equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.