Defect Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

Hello all, I posted this in the Rail forum to no avail. Wanted to post here in case there were any local rail fans in Maryland.
Are there still voice detectors in the Baltimore/Maryland area, or is it all digital data now?
If so, on what frequencies can they be heard?

Thanks

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
yes they are still used, I tell you one is located in Hyattsville and another up by Laurel. And without looking at my timetable unknown where the others are.

baybum

Bjc...yes I'm aware of the database. I'm in Howard. Just wasn't sure which road channel would be better/closer for me.
Thanks Wa3...I'll give it a shot. I assume these are all simplex, so I'll need to be close?

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
Bjc...yes I'm aware of the database. I'm in Howard. Just wasn't sure which road channel would be better/closer for me.
Thanks Wa3...I'll give it a shot. I assume these are all simplex, so I'll need to be close?
no, should be repeater and since you up in HoCo, you may also want to see if you can hear the Baltimore terminal dispatcher 161.100 and jessup yard 161.490 and just for fun see if you can hear Bayview 160.530

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
They are simplex and most of them are less than 8 watts and have pole or roof mounted antennas on the hut, there are a few in the area here near work (Illchester and Daniels) and I can barely hear either on an outside antenna and I sit very close to the river.

The link below is for the Old Main line only

baybum

Thanks, very good info, from everybody.
I'm at Rt 29 and 100 and I don't hear any RR traffic from here, except occasional Amtrak police.
Guess I need to go out and walk the line.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, very good info, from everybody.
I'm at Rt 29 and 100 and I don't hear any RR traffic from here, except occasional Amtrak police.
Guess I need to go out and walk the line.

Im sure that if you sit at Old Frederick and the River or on Daniels Road at the State Park you could probably hear the Daniels Detector, the Illchester detector, you could probably sit at Illchester Rd and the River and hear it.

Edit: Also I apologize, the detector at Daniels is licensed for 25 watts, so I was wrong on the wattage out, I had only ever seen 1-8 watts licensed.

Last edited:

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Im sure that if you sit at Old Frederick and the River or on Daniels Road at the State Park you could probably hear the Daniels Detector, the Illchester detector, you could probably sit at Illchester Rd and the River and hear it.

Edit: Also I apologize, the detector at Daniels is licensed for 25 watts, so I was wrong on the wattage out, I had only ever seen 1-8 watts licensed.

How do you find out how much wattage a detector is licensed for?

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Norfolk Southern in Delaware on NS Delmarva branch detector voice booms on same as NS voice track channel 160.800
Seen the actual transmitter box along the track with small Yagi style antenna :)

Status
Not open for further replies.