Defective NooElec RTL2832U/R820T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbm

Since I don't know how you downloaded and installed SDRSharp ...
Here's something you should try.

To be safe you can copy everything in your SDRSharp folder to a backup folder for safe keeping.

THEN:
EXPLORE to the folder you have SDRSharp installed in and double click on install.bat.
Let it run. It will take a while and installs the latest build for you.
After that, copy my SDRSharp.exe.config file into that folder.
If your driver is installed properly and your USB dongle is good, everything should run.

Rich

(Feel free to PM me or send an email to the address I gave you.)

You should also check to make sure that your driver is installed and error free.
The driver must have been installed PRIOR to plugging in your USB dongle the first time.
Otherwise, Windows will install the wrong driver by default.

In the attached image, in DEVICE MANAGER, you can select
Universal Serial Bus Devices, then Bulk-In, Interface(interface 0)
You should see the following in the DRIVER tab.

Last edited:

rbm

I've created a zip file for you that includes all the files you need.
Except the Zadig Driver files.
(You can get the drivers here: http://sdrsharp.com/downloads/zadig.zip )

My zip file is 1.8 MB and all you have to do is extract the files to the folder of your choice.
I've unzipped it to three different computers and SDRSharp runs perfectly with E4000 & R820T dongles on all.
In the 'Frequency Manager file it will have just the NOAA weather frequencies to get you started.

Just run the SDRSharp application, then before you hit PLAY, select "RTL-SDR / USB" in the drop down box.

Because of the file size limits on RR I can't upload it here but if you PM your email address to me I'll send it to you.

If the driver is installed properly, and your USB dongle is good, you should have no problems.

Rich

rbm

Windows 7x64 always listed my 820 sticks as USB keyboards.

Hi Dave.
I couldn't remember which dongle I had plugged in when I did the screen capture above.

So, I plugged in one of my R820T's just to make sure.
My E4000's and R820T's show the same.
I'm running Window 7 64 also.

Rich

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Got my replacement NooElec R820T; works like a champ. The first one definitely was defective.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I am wondering if I have a defective NooElec RTLSDR?

First: on the same machine, I also use a Newsky RTL2832U E4000. Installed Zadig, got RTL1090 working, use HDSDR and SDR#, all works, very reliable, no problems. So I think I have the driver and software side down pat.

My problem: I cannot get the NooElec RTLSDR to reliably stay online. I plugged the device into a different USB port and installed zadig, just like for my Newsky. It worked for a while (less than a day), then it went south. Since last Saturday, the following happens in any random order:

- plugging it in results in absolutely nothing happening (no windows "ding") or
- the device is not recognized and requires a driver reinstall (??) or
- The driver reinstalls, but RTL1090, HDSDR, etc cannot connect due to various errors, or
- It actually works for a few minutes, then stops. Windows 7 pops then up a dialog that says the device has malfunctioned.

My intuition tells me maybe it's a 2-devices-on-1-machine problem, even though I read that's entirely possible and supported. I've shown the hidden, offline devices in the control panel and uninstalled the zadig drivers, and started over.

Every time the Newsky comes back and works flawlessly, and the NooElec RTLSDR fouls up per above.

Any thoughts? Thinking of asking for a replacement from NooElec.

Just got mine in the mail yesterday.... Same exact failure with EXACTLY the same symptoms. Ran well for 10 minutes or so, then died. Since then, exactly the same intermittent issues as you describe.

Sending it back tomorrow.

I see from your last post that you got a replacement and all is well now.

Hope I get a good one next time.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Yes, and just a follow-up...it's still working great, predictable, as it should. The replacement did the trick.

NooElec was great about the exchange, and genuinely wanted more info about the failures so they could troubleshoot. No complaints about them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.