Defense Interoperability Communications Exercise 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuttleje

Lots of encrypted traffic all day on the Department of Justice Interops Channel (165.700 MHz, P-25, NAC-653).

Sounds like we have the annual Department of Defense Interoperability Communications Exercise (DICE)

It happened last year around this same time.

Joint Interoperability Test Command

Last edited:

OceanaRadio

Last year you would have picked some of that up as it was held at Ft Monroe in Hampton VA. The event moved this year, and It would be unlikely that VHF traffic would travel from Indian Head MD to Williamsburg VA. The crank-up towers in use by various agencies are 50-75' fhigh for the most part. Range would be about 20mi. They are only trying to talk to each other in the same campground-area.

R/
Jack

tuttleje

I thought about that....however, I was wondering if the were running some kind of link.

It could have been related to the "Gang arrests" in the Newport News area. Numerous federal agencies along with the local police were involved. It was very active all day...but 100% encrypted.

see: Police arrest alleged gang members in Newport News | TOP STORIES | WVEC.com | News for Hampton Roads, Virginia

They are obviously using repeaters.....last year they would do a "roll call" of all the participating agencies on the Interops frequency. The military facilities on the Southside (Norfolk, Va Beach, Portsmouth) would check in...they were in the clear. In the past, I have heard tactical communications on the Interops frequency....but never the amount that was happening yesterday.

See page 10 on this PDF for more info on who is on the system: http://www.search.org/conferences/2006interop/DOJ 25 Cities Fact Sheets.pdf

Here is the link to the previous discussion on 165.700 MHz: http://www.radioreference.com/forum...15-unidentified-freq-165-700-mhz-p25-enc.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.