Dekalb Fire ALS Units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medstarmedic

The radio traffic I'm hearing doesn't seem to match the website. (example: I am hearing a rescue21, but the website does not show there to be a rescue at station 21.) Is there that big of an issue with medics showing up to work? There are several stations, per the website, which show to be ALS but are "basic rescue" on the radio and vice versa.

N8IAA

The radio traffic I'm hearing doesn't seem to match the website. (example: I am hearing a rescue21, but the website does not show there to be a rescue at station 21.) Is there that big of an issue with medics showing up to work? There are several stations, per the website, which show to be ALS but are "basic rescue" on the radio and vice versa.

I think what /\/\ike meant, is that if a firefighter who is a paramedic shows up at the station, then they can be considered as ALS. It is all in the semantics. You say apple, I say macintosh. Both apples, but just a slight difference:)

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Just like any other service out there. If they can call in and get "sick pay" instead of riding the truck, folks do it. I don't know about DeKalb, but I know in Cobb they always have a Paramedic on each rescue truck almost as well as on the engine.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
DeKalb ALS Units

Larry and Mike are correct. Here's something to listen for. If for some reason, as Mike said, that an assigned paramedic is sick and is replaced on a rescue, then you will hear them on the radio refer to their unit as "Basic Rescue 21" or even "Basic 21". But as a rule, all of DeKalb's transport units - rescues - are ALS. In addition, if you hear rescues in the 60 series numbers, those are the contract transport units used by DeKalb to augment their ALS units. Quite often on DeKalb Fire, you will hear an engine, truck, or rescue ask dispatch - "do you have a basic unit available?". When that happens, they're just in need of a basic EMT-staffed rescue to transport someone to the hospital. These contract units are usually provided by CARE EMS. Hope this helps.

FireMedic88

Yes. they are correct. Also note some of the Engines are ALS (not sure about trucks (Ladders) or Quints are ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.