Delaware County Engineer TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I see that the Delaware County Engineer has petitioned the FCC, to build a new TRS. From all indications it will be a MOTOTRBO system. I wonder why they decided to go this route, rather than moving onto the Project 25 TRS?

FCC Application

73's

Ron

BusterCMH

The Delaware side of the COIRS P25 is public safety only and is sized as such. It would be cheaper to build a single site mobile based MotoTurbo system than to update 11 P25 sites with what would likely be 2 frequencies. This would put the Delaware side 3 frequencies more than than the Worthington/Dublin side, so that would need balanced. Radios are cheaper and the system is replacing existing VHF channels.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Like BusterCMH said, TRBO radios are significantly less expensive than P25 trunking radios. They also have some pretty awesome features built in, including GPS (in both mobiles and portables), and since it's 2 slot TDMA you get two completely separate channels for each frequency and repeater. Sounds like they're making an economically wise purchase to me.

Also, for those curious, the giveaway that it's DMR (MotoTRBO) is the emission designation, which you can see here. 7K60FXE == DMR.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Like BusterCMH said, TRBO radios are significantly less expensive than P25 trunking radios. They also have some pretty awesome features built in, including GPS (in both mobiles and portables), and since it's 2 slot TDMA you get two completely separate channels for each frequency and repeater. Sounds like they're making an economically wise purchase to me.

I agree, from a fiscal standpoint. From an interoperability standpoint it's an incredibly bad decision.

Also, for those curious, the giveaway that it's DMR (MotoTRBO) is the emission designation, which you can see here. 7K60FXE == DMR.

In this case you're correct, it is going to be a MotoTRBO system, but that emission designator does not just mean MotoTRBO; any legal digital mode that works within those parameters can be used under that license. The only way to know for sure is to hear it in operation or confirm the mode through other means. To assume otherwise based solely on the license is poor practice.

16b

Premium Subscriber
I agree, from a fiscal standpoint. From an interoperability standpoint it's an incredibly bad decision.
I guess sometimes government agencies have to break down and actually let their budgets drive their purchasing decisions.

In this case you're correct, it is going to be a MotoTRBO system, but that emission designator does not just mean MotoTRBO; any legal digital mode that works within those parameters can be used under that license. The only way to know for sure is to hear it in operation or confirm the mode through other means. To assume otherwise based solely on the license is poor practice.
Thanks for the tip. I was hoping that most people would get the point of my comment, the verbose version of which is that for the purposes of casual radio detective work (like we're doing), 7K60FXE is a pretty safe indicator of DMR/MotoTRBO. For details on emission designators and the various formats that fall under each one, I would suggest looking for some technical documents on the subject, not browsing radio reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.