Delco 500 Fire Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

RES27CUE

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what the cause of all the noise is on delco fire channels sounds really bad on 4,5,6. Heard operators saying they couldn't hear fire board vise versa, Doesn't seem to be effecting 1,2,3 or PD channels.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

RES27CUE

Premium Subscriber
I also heard what sounded to be Ocean County NJ coming in on the same channels on portable over 50 miles plus away and a out of area dispatch on 453.8000 that i never heard before very odd.

RES27CUE

Premium Subscriber
Way over my head i just know it some of it has to do with the DTV stuff. Is that what is causing band openings for me to be hearing stuff 80 miles away clear as day

Last edited:

saber2k5

This tropo ducting has affected VHF, UHF, and even 800 Mhz for the past few nights. Last night I was receiving NOAA weather from VA on 162.400 that was booming in at my location in SE Delco, using APX7000 with stock antenna on a second floor. Look for a warm day, with a cool night; this is the most common favorable combination to promote tropo ducting.

RES27CUE

Premium Subscriber
On a base with a outside antenna i would expect it but its just very odd on a portable it sounds like im a few miles from the site and as i said it sounds like jersey i have yet to pin point it. I've haven't heard other comms cross delco since everyone is now on 7/8. I know years ago when norristown in montco used to dispatch off of 154.370 on a calm night i could hear FDNY for hours as day light would show it would fade to nothing.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
On a base with a outside antenna i would expect it but its just very odd on a portable it sounds like im a few miles from the site and as i said it sounds like jersey i have yet to pin point it. I've haven't heard other comms cross delco since everyone is now on 7/8. I know years ago when norristown in montco used to dispatch off of 154.370 on a calm night i could hear FDNY for hours as day light would show it would fade to nothing.
What you heard is likely Ocean County TRS. They share some voice channels with Delco frequencies and during band openings it's common for them to reach each other.

RES27CUE

Premium Subscriber
Is that a strong system and it's on 500 or rebroadcast? I've never heard them before now it seems like its been days in a row, Odd but amazing how RF travels.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Is that a strong system and it's on 500 or rebroadcast? I've never heard them before now it seems like its been days in a row, Odd but amazing how RF travels.
Yes that can happen given the atmospheric conditions over this past week. Ocean County 500mhz TRS Is strong. Under more normal conditions it can still be heard in Camden County NJ and even into parts of Northeast Philadelphia and Lower Bucks County.

RES27CUE

Premium Subscriber
Good to know i've been scanning tonight i haven't heard much other then my local stuff i guess maybe things are going back to normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.