Delco Fire Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Do fire police in Delco use UHF at all? I've only ever seen the old 46.080 listed for fire police.
Today, I heard what sounded like a traffic control operation on Delco Fire 9 (507.9875). Are fire police now using this channel or was this a special use?

JRM5204

I have never heard the fire police on the county system except for the simplex channels. I know companies with private channels conduct fire police operations on them. Fire 9 hasn't been used in awhile it used to be used for calls on I476.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
JRM5204 said:
I have never heard the fire police on the county system except for the simplex channels. I know companies with private channels conduct fire police operations on them. Fire 9 hasn't been used in awhile it used to be used for calls on I476.

Somebody was definitely using it today. Most people were ID'ing with a number (i.e. "21 to 27, do you copy?"). Sometimes the persons used first names. Unfortunately, I was busy with the baby while I had the scanner going, so I didn't really have an opportunity to make notes.
Some of the comms were very scratchy through the repeater so wherever they were, the coverage was spotty at times.

I figured this was related to some special event going on today...it was very active for a while in the late morning.

Septa3371CSX1

Thursday night I did hear Traffic 19 tell Fireboard they were responding for traffic control near the fire in Darby that night. He responded on Fire 1. I've never heard anything on 46.080 as of yet.

CommJunkie

Benrusselpa> The traffic you heard on Fire 9 the other day was for the St. paddy's day parade which was (I belive) in Springfield. My portable decodes MDC IDs, and according to the IDs, the radios were fireboard/delcom backup portables. I don't know what they were doing, but they would be the ones to use Channel 9 if anyone were going to.

JRM> FB dispatches the fire police by district. If they dispatch 11th district fire police, they don't want to hear 50-21, 69-21, 72-21, etc all responding on the radio. Granted, I think if they are being dispatched they should respond, but I don't make the county rules.

Septa> 46.08 hasn't been used since the county switched to UHF in 1995. In my area, FP use Fire 14. If fire ops switch to 14, they usually go to 13. Also, you heard Traffic 19 on fire 1 because it is technically a piece of fire apparatus. Why a "Traffic Unit" is acknowledged and the FP Captain in his POV is not, I'll never know.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
CommJunkie said:
Why a "Traffic Unit" is acknowledged and the FP Captain in his POV is not, I'll never know.

Fire Police get no respect...some places are worse than others.

Frankly, when they do a good job (and there are those who don't), I think they're a great asset on big fire incidents or roadway related incidents.

boomerang

benrussellpa said:
Fire Police get no respect...some places are worse than others.

Frankly, when they do a good job (and there are those who don't), I think they're a great asset on big fire incidents or roadway related incidents.

I crossed the path of a winter building fire and folks standing out in the cold, I pulled up to the fire police in the middle of the street and offered up my army blanket in the trunk, to help warm up a person or two. They declined my offer.

Andy

Edit: I am NOT Boomerang!!!!!!

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
CommJunkie said:
Who are you then? The one-armed man?

On more than one occasion recently, I log in as myself, boomeranger and my password and it's incorrectly logged me in as boomerang, a non-existent account. A log-in bug in the forum software, obviously.

Andy
Scannist

Status
Not open for further replies.