Delco gets ready to spend $20M on 911 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Delco gets ready to spend $20M on 911 system

MEDIA — Thousands of first responder radios may be on the verge of an overhaul that could cost Delaware County between $20 to $40 million and take four to five years to complete.

A number of factors have created limitations on the existing 500 MHz system that is about three decades old.

"The old models that we use are changing," Timothy Boyce, Delaware County Emergency Services Director, said. "A lot of advances have come in the last 30 years. It's just that technology has changed."

To begin to address that, Boyce asked for, and received, approval to solicit requests for proposals for an independent engineer to study the current capabilities of the county's emergency communications radio system and to make recommendations for the future. Delaware County Council unanimously approved the measure Wednesday.
"Delaware County operates a historic radio system that's called a 500 MHz system, also referred to as T-Band," Boyce said. "In 2012, the (U.S.) Department of Commerce passed a law where they sold the rights to that spectrum to commercial television stations."

He explained that there were provisions in that sale for public safety members to move to a different band. However, he said, there was no funding provided for them to make that move.

And, Boyce added that the Federal Communications Commission placed a moratorium on improvements to 500 MHz systems, so Delaware County can no longer make improvements to their existing system.

"There's nothing inherently wrong with a 500 system," Boyce said, "but it is a legacy system we've maintained for many years and they don't really make the parts for public safety anymore. I would liken it to FM in your car. In the '80's and '90's, FM worked and over the years, people have moved to a digital system, a cleaner system, subscription-based."

~more at link above~

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
The real question...will they follow Chesco's lead and minimize encryption, Bucks' lead and go middle of the road, of Montco's lead and go heavy on the enc. Sadly, the third option seems to be getting more popular in the region as a whole, but I guess time will tell.

phillydjdan

Since they have a problem with "Baofeng hackers" my guess is they will go full on gestapo mode and I am not happy about it. We all know that a simple P25 trunked system would put an end to that, but they will surely drink the Kool-Aid

radioron231

Ok well I am confused because they do not have a single 500 mhz frequency licensed to the county and their current radio public safety system is a Motorola P25 800mhz system that is compatible with the states radio system.

COIRS has better coverage than the MARCS-IP.

So what am I missing?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Sure going to be a lot more than $20 Mil to redo that County system.. They mention up to $40 Mil and
I bet that won't be near enough not to mention adding of thousands of expensive radios to boot.
Funny they mention possibly collaborating with cell phone towers.
That won't happen.. Gonna have to build more dedicated towers for sure.

radioron231

I just do mot understand why they lied about being on a 500mhz system when they are operating on 800 mhz now

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ok well I am confused because they do not have a single 500 mhz frequency licensed to the county and their current radio public safety system is a Motorola P25 800mhz system that is compatible with the states radio system.

COIRS has better coverage than the MARCS-IP.

So what am I missing?

I just do mot understand why they lied about being on a 500mhz system when they are operating on 800 mhz now

I think you're in the wrong state, guy. This thread is about Delaware County, PA...not Ohio. ;)

radioron231

Oh thank goodness. It just didnt make any sense to me. I was researching the FCC website and nothing. Cool. Sorry for the mix up

Jason4525

Premium Subscriber
Going to be a long process other key issues facing the county $300 million in debt Democratic Councilman Brian Zidek said none of them can be placed before public safety.

Expect every municipality to front the bill for this product I suppose we could see some type of Government Grant to fund part of it and then see the spike in property taxes on everyone but regardless I favor a upgrade. And I like the fact it's starting with a independent study no need to rush into this get the information first then work the logistics and if everything looks good make it happen

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Oh thank goodness. It just didnt make any sense to me. I was researching the FCC website and nothing. Cool. Sorry for the mix up

Sorry for the confusion, guess I should have put "PA" on the subject line, I did post this in the Pennsylvania forum though. I realize there are a couple of other Delco's, OH & NY.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
The county should join the new PAStarnet P25 system. The state is actively encouraging counties to do just that. But I don't expect them to take the sensible route. They will waste money on studies and listen to the silver tongued salesmen, and end up soaking the taxpayers.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
The county should join the new PAStarnet P25 system. The state is actively encouraging counties to do just that. But I don't expect them to take the sensible route. They will waste money on studies and listen to the silver tongued salesmen, and end up soaking the taxpayers.

Delco is one of the last holdouts for switching up to the new frequencies allocated for safety in this area, one of the last easy to program and easy to hear counties. Won't be long before this hobby is completely dead, at least as far as police scanning is concerned. The trend to hide transmissions is one of the reasons I have not shelled out huge bucks for a new scanner that may be useless in the not too distant future here. For now my RS Pro-197 still works. It'll be a sad day when it becomes a paperweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.