Deleting Frequencies/ Resume scanner BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

This is a 2 part question

Question 1:When my scanner loads its loading alot because I had the range set to high so I had to hit
"Avoid on everyone" I even erased the scanner several times and then program 1 area which is my town and when I turn it on it says loading full database CT, ME, MA, NH even though I erased it? Is there a way to delete it so It doesn't take so long to load scanner? When I'm Sentinel it won't give me an option to remove it.

Question 2: How to I Resume skip over the channel thats talking and go back to scanning? I know on my Pro 96 I was able to do this but cannot find out how to do this on

SCPD

QRT
yes

yeah if you get ARC 436HP by Butel then you can load exactly what you want ,and not have to go through all the BS,this scanner is like the homepatrol though and does Load at startup ,so does the GRE PSR-800.If this bugs you go back to the 996xt or 396XT by Uniden or anything that doesnt say HP after it.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
This is a 2 part question

Question 1:When my scanner loads its loading alot because I had the range set to high so I had to hit
"Avoid on everyone" I even erased the scanner several times and then program 1 area which is my town and when I turn it on it says loading full database CT, ME, MA, NH even though I erased it? Is there a way to delete it so It doesn't take so long to load scanner? When I'm Sentinel it won't give me an option to remove it.

Question 2: How to I Resume skip over the channel thats talking and go back to scanning? I know on my Pro 96 I was able to do this but cannot find out how to do this on

Question 1: Lower the range or choose fewer service tags. You can't and shouldn't remove things from the full database in a HomePatrol scanner. ARC isn't of use here. Simply choose less to listen to. Put in the exact zip code of where you are, and choose the correct range based on this instruction page: How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Question 2: On the HP1, you can tap the Channel button and then hit Next. On the x36HP, I'm not sure if this will work, but you can try pushing the white Channel button twice.

NFR85

Question 1: Lower the range or choose fewer service tags. You can't and shouldn't remove things from the full database in a HomePatrol scanner. ARC isn't of use here. Simply choose less to listen to. Put in the exact zip code of where you are, and choose the correct range based on this instruction page: How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Question 2: On the HP1, you can tap the Channel button and then hit Next. On the x36HP, I'm not sure if this will work, but you can try pushing the white Channel button twice.

I put my range to 0 then 1 mile and still brought up all those areas.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I put my range to 0 then 1 mile and still brought up all those areas.

There has to be something more to this. Did you read the "Location, Location, Location" link I posted?

What do you have your zip code set to?

NFR85

There has to be something more to this. Did you read the "Location, Location, Location" link I posted?

What do you have your zip code set to?

I did. Confusing to a newbie. Sorry

03062 which is Nashua New Hampshire but it loads Mass, CT, ME, NH.

troymail

Silent Key
I did. Confusing to a newbie. Sorry

03062 which is Nashua New Hampshire but it loads Mass, CT, ME, NH.

I see (and have reported this) this also -- local central Maryland Zip code with a range of 0 and still get PA and VA data loaded. I don't get it.

EDIT: I also meant to also mention that I rarely use location based imports/loads for this and other reasons. It has it's uses but more as the exception than the rule. From what I recall/have seen, I believe this works better inside Sentinel (from what I recall it selected far less data than doing the same zip/range selection inside the radio).

phask

Premium Subscriber
I just created a FL for your ZIP, if you go in and look at some of the "distant" entries you can see why. I saw some NY ones with 215 miles, several over 100.

Maine has some > 200. Short of getting correct range in the database, all you can do is delete.

Jay911

Feed Provider
You're not going to get exclusively New Hampshire. If any of the location circles for any items in the main database - for ANY area - come within 0 or 1 mile of the center of that zipcode,

The center of that zipcode is only 1.5 miles from the NH/MA border. So you're almost guaranteed to get MA data no matter what you do.

There's a trunk system in Waltham MA that has a range circle of 30 miles, which covers NH all the way up to Manchester. So, like phask says below, you will always see some other states even if you set your range to zero, because the range location in the database says you can receive signals from there.

I just created a FL for your ZIP, if you go in and look at some of the "distant" entries you can see why. I saw some NY ones with 215 miles, several over 100.

Maine has some > 200. Short of getting correct range in the database, all you can do is delete.

No, that's not correct. Don't delete anything from the RRDB/HPDB. Set it on avoid if you have to, but don't delete it. It'll just be replaced when you update next week anyway.

Set your range to what you want to receive, and set your service tags to what you want to receive. Make sure those are working properly. Then, in Sentinel, go into the main DB and open up each state that you're receiving that you don't want to receive. You're going to have to do this one entry at a time, but you will be able to lock out or avoid all the systems/channels.you want, and it will only have to be done once. Open up to the "County Systems" level in each state and county that you're receiving, highlight a system you don't want to hear, and press Ctrl+L to avoid or lock out the system. Its text will turn red. Do the same for all systems you don't want to hear - you may have to do this at the "Statewide Systems" level too (but you only have to do that once in each state, just pick any county to enter it from). And then upload to the scanner.

I know this sounds complicated, but there's no easier way to deal with it. It's the way the HomePatrol database works, and it works pretty well.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Jay - I know what you are saying,but I prefer to delete. When I "rebuild" I just append the new.

For me, it gives a cleaner look. I am in an area with few changes. It may be easier your way with a more active, more metro area.

I'm guessing you could use add on range to grab the new and it would keep all the avoids.

NFR85

I wish HP did something different and kept the programming easier like the 996XT the portable as well. I know ARC will be coming out with software it that will be 100% easier then Sentinel. Thats just me because I'm a newbie and like scanners that are easy to program. I like the scanner will take some time to get use to it. I'm sure I'm not the only newbie who feels like this.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I wish HP did something different and kept the programming easier like the 996XT the portable as well. I know ARC will be coming out with software it that will be 100% easier then Sentinel. Thats just me because I'm a newbie and like scanners that are easy to program. I like the scanner will take some time to get use to it. I'm sure I'm not the only newbie who feels like this.

Personally - I don't find ARC any easier, just different. You are still using the same DB and similar drill down via location.

NFR85

Personally - I don't find ARC any easier, just different. You are still using the same DB and similar drill down via location.

with ARC lets you log into your RR account load the areas you want remove as well. Sentinel doesn't allow you to remove. I guess with me using ARC for many years its been easier for me.

phask

Premium Subscriber
with ARC lets you log into your RR account load the areas you want remove as well. Sentinel doesn't allow you to remove. I guess with me using ARC for many years its been easier for me.

Sentinel definitely lets you remove, you can also just "append" to a FL what you want.

With either you may and or will get "stuff" you don't want.

I use a combo of both but 99 time out of 100 I use Sentinel. I do use ARC to find dupes, something not doable in Sentinel.

SCPD

QRT
Question 2: How to I Resume skip over the channel thats talking and go back to scanning? I know on my Pro 96 I was able to do this but cannot find out how to do this on[/QUOTE]

Rotate the Nob on top or if you don't what to listen to it hit Avoid once to Temporary avoid it till next Time you restart the Scanner or Hit it twice to permanently put it on avoid.

JoeyC

You certainly CAN delete out of Sentinel and its a much cleaner programming instead of ranges and setting a bunch of AVOIDS to systems, sites, talkgroups or freqs that are out of range to you or that you do not want to hear.

I hear all this talk about avoids and lockouts, when one of the most powerful features of these scanners is the ability to create Favorite Lists. If you are going to rely on monitoring through the full database then yes you have to trudge through all the stuff in there and set avoids and ranges and risk still receiving things you don't want or miss things you do.

Build a FL, append stuff to it, then edit out all the stuff you will never want to listen to or is never going to be in range for you.

You can do all this in Sentinel albeit cumbersome for some tasks so ARC is not a necessity as someone alluded to.

NFR85

You certainly CAN delete out of Sentinel and its a much cleaner programming instead of ranges and setting a bunch of AVOIDS to systems, sites, talkgroups or freqs that are out of range to you or that you do not want to hear.

I hear all this talk about avoids and lockouts, when one of the most powerful features of these scanners is the ability to create Favorite Lists. If you are going to rely on monitoring through the full database then yes you have to trudge through all the stuff in there and set avoids and ranges and risk still receiving things you don't want or miss things you do.

Build a FL, append stuff to it, then edit out all the stuff you will never want to listen to or is never going to be in range for you.

You can do all this in Sentinel albeit cumbersome for some tasks so ARC is not a necessity as someone alluded to.

Like i said before I'm newbie or not that tech. I always used ARC as it was so user friendly for me. This Sentinel I looked everywhere to remove delete etc not seeing it.

I just did a pre-order for ARC so can't wait for it to come out!

Last edited:

JoeyC

Like i said before I'm newbie or not that tech. I always used ARC as it was so user friendly for me. This Sentinel I looked everywhere to remove delete etc not seeing it.

I just did a pre-order for ARC so can't wait for it to come out!

You have to make a FL and you have to edit it after you make it (if you are importing stuff from the RR database). Its not difficult. UPMAN made a simple video that outlines the basics of how to do it.

NFR85

You have to make a FL and you have to edit it after you make it (if you are importing stuff from the RR database). Its not difficult. UPMAN made a simple video that outlines the basics of how to do it.

Understand on the Favorite list. My problem is the channels that I have to Permanently avoid. My scanner is taking a bit to load. How do I fix this. Jay said never delete. So how do I make it so when it turns on it will be quick and just load just my city?

When I have Sentinel read from scanner all that its reading is my city nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.