Dell PowerEdge 2400 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've acquired a free server that's RAID5 with twin P3 processors, 6 16GB drives and Server 2003. I'm looking for ideas on uses. I currently run 7 feeds and multiple pieces of scanner / SDR software...

Last edited:

bezking

6*16gb isn't that much - you could upgrade the drives (are they the expensive SAS drives?) and run your own archive server...

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I would check how much power that baby is going to draw. A server class machine with multiple drives could bump your power bill.

Just something to consider!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Absolutely right, Rob. The minute I saw the two PS modules with their own power cords, I knew it had the potential to be a "meter spinner".

Rob_K

Feed Provider
The new HP servers I buy for my datacenter have 2 750 watt supplies.

At home my feeds are on a thin client that sips maybe 15 watts ?

Would love to run a server at home but the thin client gets the job done.

n5ims

The idea behind the dual power supplies in the 2400 was you plug one into a circuit supplied by one source and the other supplied by another independent source so if one power source fails your server would still function normally. The flaw was that once you loaded it up with processors, memory, and drives you often exceeded what a single supply could power so when you lost either power source your server went down.

The disks in the 2400 are generally 1.6" (4 drive versions) or 1" (6 drive versions) SCSI drives (the old kind, not the newer serial attached SCSI) and are not very large nor are they inexpensive (especially for the hot-swappable versions).

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
These are the hot swappable drives, from what I'm told. Maybe I'll see if any of my friends with small businesses can use it instead...

travisd

Noise will be another factor. Rack-mountable gear tends to have small, noisy fans. If you intend to put this thing somewhere that you will be near to for more than brief moments, the fan noise may likely get annoying.

CapStar362

the two PSU's are also cross-fed for maximum performance loading, as well as redundancy if one fails, you have the second to instantly jump in.... but the performance hit is going to be noticed if the second cant power everything all at once...... it WILL disable components or simply hit its maximum output and a overload protection will kick in and simply shutdown the server all together.

i would use this machine ( if your going to keep it ) as a dedicated feed or archive machine as you said before. what P3's are they? run CPUID on them and how much RAM is it holding?

is it a rack or a Tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.