Delta Airlines Flight 4230 Makes EMERGENCY LANDING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Thursday 7:30 PM CDT Delta Airlines Flight 4230 Bound From Memphis International To Atlanta Georgia Has Turned Around and Made an apparent EMERGENCY LANDING shortly after take off due to Engine Problems...Several Reported Hearing Sonic Booms or Explosions and saw flames and Fire Shooting From the Left engine/wing area...The Plane Bound From MEM to ATL was carrying 75 People..No Injuries were Reported..Although The Memphis Fire Department Responded No Fire Was Extinguished Or Found On Board...Stay with the AP or Mempis TV Stations For More Information..

Airdorn

Just for an update.. I heard it just now on the scanner.

The same aircraft tried an engine run-up about 15 mins ago and it 'backfired', causing a fire on the runway.

Numerous fire depts. responded but it turned-out to be pretty minor. I've never heard so much activity on the fire channels. ;)

MattSR

"Fire, explosions" - Yawn.. gimme a break...

Its called compressor surge - makes a bit of noise and some flames shoot out the back - Its analogous to a car backfiring... There is no real danger to anyone as long as the engine gets a precautionary checkup.

Cheers,
Matt

Airdorn

MattSR said:
"Fire, explosions" - Yawn.. gimme a break...

Its called compressor surge - makes a bit of noise and some flames shoot out the back - Its analogous to a car backfiring... There is no real danger to anyone as long as the engine gets a precautionary checkup.

Cheers,
Matt

Wow, they could have saved a bunch of trouble and just called you, the expert........

SCANdal

Silent Key
Just like the New Jersey Forum?

Wow; who knew we needed an "Incidents and Breaking News" sub-forum for the Aircraft Monitoring Forum?

Last edited:

immelmen

Airdorn said:
Wow, they could have saved a bunch of trouble and just called you, the expert........

well, he is right....it was a compressor stall followed by a surge....pressures build in the late stages of the compressor due to aerodynamic stalling of the blades(Compressor stall) the thrust simply goes back out the front of the engine and ignition is lost(Surge)....aren't you so glad you didnt ask

Nothing is damaged, there is no fire(actually the opposite, the "fire in the engine" is blown out) and its not a big deal....I have had this happen on an aircraft I was flying twice....in the SAME flight. simply drop to FL250 and do an air start....its the regs that require you to declare....this must have been a slow news day.

also, based on the flight number this was not a delta flight...but a delta connection carrier, probably ASA or ****ty Kitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.