Delta Loop Pruning

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissim

I'm a bit confused from what I read online. I'm constructing a delta loop for 40 meters. I'm going to feed the antenna near the bottom, specifically at the corner. When cutting for resonance, do I need to actually snip the wire on one of the sloping sides so that one of the sides is shorter leading to the balun then the other? I've noticed in some diagrams that when feeding from the corner, one of the sloping side is shorter in length than the other. I was considering pruning for resonance at the horizontal at the bottom.

Thanks!

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Everyone that has put-up and documented their antenna has physical constraints they were dealing with. That is one reason you see variations likely leading to 'confusion'. Follow the details as best you can and get the antenna up. Yours will be a compromise too and unless yours is significantly different you will be hard pressed to tell the difference from the ideal configuration. At the receiving end it takes a lot to make a difference. Its easy to come away with the impression it is black and white how the antenna is constructed and configured. It all works, some just better than others. :)

Once it has been up for a few months I am betting you will try something different. Good Luck!

Mike

chrissim

I've consulted the ARRL Antenna Book three times in the planning of the delta. I've found nothing that mentions specifics in terms of feeding other than vertical feed for DX. 40 meters tends to be noisy for me, the loops seems to be the best option. Dipoles for 40 I've tried in the past just don't cut it. I thought about a Moxon, but the hexbeam I currently use takes up all the free space in the back yard, the rest is covered by trees. I can just fit the delta with the apex anywhere between 40 to 60 feet.

I suppose I'll just have at it when the balun arrives and see what happens. I'm using a Balun Designs 2.5:1 ratio, supposed to match better than 4:1 for a loop.

LtDoc

I've 'played' with loops for a while and if I have a choice that's what I'd rather have for an antenna. Loops are not very 'picky' about how they are put up, their general shape etc. It has a lot to do with where the thing's mounted and how. Lot's of variations in that, most of them will certainly work, some better than others.
Loops do tend to be slightly 'quieter' than a dipole or random wire antenna. Don't expect absolute quiet, just never happens. Oh well...
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.