Demonstrations in D.C. this week — anyone planning to record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
They could easily do it, but it would be illegal - unless there is some kind of emergency authority they can invoke during this event.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I cant recall but theres already a company that basically has a mega SDR satellite that records giant swaths of spectrum and sells it for "research" purposes

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The really sad / funny thing is that the cell companies erected a bunch of temporary towers around The Mall to support the Inauguration - lots of bandwidth / circuits being unused.

spacellamaman

You would think the government would find a way to create interference on those bands during that time.
tears gas generally does the trick. fcc won't have a justifiable complaint either...

I does seem like 2 airspys (1 VHF 1 UHF) each with several VFO could do the job if one had a workstation class laptop with the horsepower and thermal load capability, and sufficient 12v power. Sadly, my Dell tends to overheat and shut down when asking it to do too much continuous processing.
dang, my sony vox recorders kinda seem silly now....*kicks can down sidewalk*

cmpsa

From what I saw on TV, various protesters had what I thought where Kenwood GMRS/FRS hand-held portable radios. Any US government two-way radio tech could listen in on them, or even any other portable radios. I doubt "professional groups" are coming with DMR OR P25 radios with AES or DES encryption, so monitoring the protester's radio might be an easy task, just need 1-2 dozen mobile scanners to keep track/monitor, live.... just my personal opinion.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If you look closely at the militia types, they are using military style headsets and tape / folding antennas. However, these are widely copied / counterfeited and available - as well as Harris Falcon IIIs that actually have Baofeng guts. They're very popular in the paintball / airsoft communities. I'm pretty confident that of the 25K state NG troops on the ground, some will be sigint types - there are some interesting trailers parked about.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
For great info about monitoring either side, CHM 2021 Inauguration issue is out now and it's better than years past, includes freqs for the inauguration & a lot of fed/air freqs used on a regular basis year round and nationwide. Well put together document. The 14 page PDF is available for download at

maus92

Premium Subscriber
As well as Baofeng defaults. Interesting that Beofeng Tech site is down due to high demand.

spacellamaman

As well as Baofeng defaults. Interesting that Beofeng Tech site is down due to high demand.
well poop. kinda feel conflicted now. thanks for trying anyway, never know whats going to happen.

With 25K+ guardsmen in DC did you really expect to hear much?

FRS Ch. 1:

"uuhhh Team 1, uhh, move up..."

"Team 1, Team Alpha, uhh, negative advance....you first...I think I forgot to turn the toaster-oven off when I left my motel roo....uhh when I left the FOB this morning.....Out! "

Flyham

well poop. kinda feel conflicted now. thanks for trying anyway, never know whats going to happen.

FRS Ch. 1:

"uuhhh Team 1, uhh, move up..."

"Team 1, Team Alpha, uhh, negative advance....you first...I think I forgot to turn the toaster-oven off when I left my motel roo....uhh when I left the FOB this morning.....Out! "

More like it was on MURS Channel 2, and notable interference received when they got in the proximity of a large retail store. :)

spacellamaman

More like it was on MURS Channel 2, and notable interference received when they got in the proximity of a large retail store. :)
Tyson's Corner Wal-Mart, MURS Channel 2:

"Hey Jimmy, this is Bobby in the Home/Living department, I got a guy in here in the Kitchenware area who needs some assistance..."

"Yeah what's he need?"

*Bobby steps around to the end of the isle, out of earshot of the customer*

"Look man, get security out here, this guy is on dope or something, he's pissed off and he's huge. He's with a tour group or something, on his way to the Inauguration. He says he needs a 2XL plate-carrier pronto, and when I pointed them out to him, he just about blew his top!"

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Another note about monitoring the GMRS band in DC. I occasionally heard what sounded like DMR / Motobro digital on GMRS channels 10 and 11.

BM82557

Don't know if you guys noticed this post about USSS activity or not --

n1das

Another note about monitoring the GMRS band in DC. I occasionally heard what sounded like DMR / Motobro digital on GMRS channels 10 and 11.

What GMRS freqs are these? Note that there is no formal GMRS/FRS channel numbering in Part 95. Individual manufacturers may number the GMRS/FRS channels differently. Many but not all manufacturers have followed Motorola's lead with channel numbering in the 22 channel Motorola Talkabout bubble packs. I've dealt with GMRS-specific handhelds which had 462.575, 462.625, and 462.675 numbered as channels 8, 9, and 10 respectively. In the Motorola Talkabouts, these are channels 16, 18, and 20. It's best to always refer to the specific frequency instead of channel numbers.

I routinely scan the GMRS/FRS and MURS channels in my travels. I have heard a little bit of P25 a couple of times. You never know what you might find next. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.