Denton County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitro882

About to pick up a Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP Police Scanner. Hoping it will pick ip Denton County so i can hear Little Elm. Anyone using this scanner? Any tips or advice greatly appericated.

Jim C

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
You might want to consider getting the SDS100 handheld scanner from Uniden in order to hear the simulcast traffic without it breaking up or half of it being okay and the other half being unreadable. I would not recommend anybody get one of the scanners that cannot handle LSM / simulcast communications especially in the DFW area. I don't even use my BCD436HP anymore because it cannot receive the simulcast traffic and it is really only good for some conventional frequencies but nothing as far as the trunk radio systems go in the area, Fort Worth, where I am. It may cost you a little bit more money to get the SDS100 but you will be a lot more happy that you did once you start listening. And the Denton County system is one that people report a lot of simulcast traffic problems on also.

Good luck with whichever scanner you buy. But if you do get the 436, I would recommend making sure you can return it if you're not happy. It's a good radio but it's just not capable of clear traffic on the simulcast systems (like in Denton County and many other North Texas areas as well as areas across the country). I think the City of Denton is still analog and it should work fine on that one system for now. Some people are fortunate in that they live in an area where they are pretty evenly spaced with the distance between the different towers and sites. But it's a risky thing to gamble on if you don't have a warranty that would allow you to exchange the radio if it's not working in your area for you.

I'm not saying this to scare you but I do want to help you find the scanner that will meet your needs and not give you problems when you try to listen. And like I mentioned, the BCD436HP is a good scanner but it's just not capable of monitoring a lot of the traffic including Denton County with all of the changes that are being made nowadays and the simulcast systems. Be sure you understand simulcast systems well.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new radio!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see or catch.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input. Going to make sure i can return if it doesnt do what i want it to do...
Whether the 436HP will work or not will depend, to a large part, on reception conditions at your location. Both te County & the Lewisville sites are simulcast. As Brian noted, a lot of people in the county have had troubles with simulcast affecting their monitoring. You may find that, at your location, there is no problem at all. Or, the reverse might be true- you're not getting reception at all, or everything keeps breaking up. Sometimes, moving the scanner a few feet one way or the other, makes all the difference. Or, you might be able to mitigate the problem by using a directional antenna.

As long as you have return options on the 436HP, you can see whether it will work, or whether you need to step up to the SDS100.

jason51

Although the 436 is an excellent scanner, I have never received Denton Co on the 436, I have even been all over the Co with no luck. I would highly recommend the SDS for that system, it won’t miss a beat!

Nitro882

Well, went with the SDS 100. Talking to them at the store, you guys and UTUBE helped me decide. Spent more than i wanted to. Hope it picks up everything i am wanting to losten too. Also do have the return option.

Nitro882

Fustrating. I just used the zip code function and i dont think i am heating everything. Have searched to see how to program and having no luck. This bad boy may go back...any help would be greatly appericated..

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Fustrating. I just used the zip code function and i dont think i am heating everything. Have searched to see how to program and having no luck. This bad boy may go back...any help would be greatly appericated..
First off, make sure that you install Sentinel, update it's database, and then write that to the scanner. When shipped, the database loaded in the scanner is seriously out of date.

Also, check which Service Types you have active. By default, when the scanner is shipped, only Public Safety Dispatch service types are enabled:
Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch.
Also enable the Tac and Talk service types for these: Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc.

What range are you using? Verify that your selected location is correct (I've seen a few scattered instances where someone says they entered their location, but the location in the scanner either did not get updated, or is incorrect.

As far as videos go, there are multiple "How to" videos available for your scanner as well as others. Look at the SDS100 page in the Wiki to start with. Do a Google search for SDS100 Videos and you'll find more.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD436HP_and_BCD536HP_Scanner_FAQ
(Articles and pages for the 436HP and 536HP cover about 90% of the basic functions of the SDS100 & SDS200 as well.)
There is an "Easier to Read" manual for the 436HP & 536HP while will also cover the same things in your SDS series scanner.
Also one for the Uniden software, Sentinel. While written for the 436 & 536, it's the same version of Sentinel you use for your new scanner.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
First off, make sure that you install Sentinel, update it's database, and then write that to the scanner. When shipped, the database loaded in the scanner is seriously out of date.

Also, check which Service Types you have active. By default, when the scanner is shipped, only Public Safety Dispatch service types are enabled:
Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch.
Also enable the Tac and Talk service types for these: Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc.

What range are you using? Verify that your selected location is correct (I've seen a few scattered instances where someone says they entered their location, but the location in the scanner either did not get updated, or is incorrect.

As far as videos go, there are multiple "How to" videos available for your scanner as well as others. Look at the SDS100 page in the Wiki to start with. Do a Google search for SDS100 Videos and you'll find more.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD436HP_and_BCD536HP_Scanner_FAQ
(Articles and pages for the 436HP and 536HP cover about 90% of the basic functions of the SDS100 & SDS200 as well.)
There is an "Easier to Read" manual for the 436HP & 536HP while will also cover the same things in your SDS series scanner.
Also one for the Uniden software, Sentinel. While written for the 436 & 536, it's the same version of Sentinel you use for your new scanner.

It looks like there's a link for the Sentinel software manual or information but nothing happens when I click on it. I'd be interested in looking at that one myself just because I've never seen it. If there is a link it definitely is not working right now. If there is a link that you could just post the URL for, I would appreciate that. I can copy and paste the link if for any reason the above hypertext Sentinel link / word doesn't want to allow me to click on it and open up.

I never realized anybody had made any kind of instructions for Sentinel so thanks for posting about that :)

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see or catch.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It looks like there's a link for the Sentinel software manual or information but nothing happens when I click on it. I'd be interested in looking at that one myself just because I've never seen it. If there is a link it definitely is not working right now. If there is a link that you could just post the URL for, I would appreciate that. I can copy and paste the link if for any reason the above hypertext Sentinel link / word doesn't want to allow me to click on it and open up.

I never realized anybody had made any kind of instructions for Sentinel so thanks for posting about that :)

Brian (COMMSCAN)
Brian,
The link works for me (I’m using my phone at present, spending a “joyous day”) at jury duty.

If it still won’t come up for you, just go to the main page for the “Easier to Read” manuals.

I’ll look at the other link this evening, after I get home.

Nitro882

Thanks guys for all the help and input. Updated tonight and made a favotites list. Now i am just scanning Denton Count. Heard LEPD tonigjt as well. Traffic stop about 4 blocks from my house. Looks like LEPD is 600 number units..

Now to add more local areas, propser, frisco celina..

Have a great evening.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys for all the help and input. Updated tonight and made a favotites list. Now i am just scanning Denton Count. Heard LEPD tonigjt as well. Traffic stop about 4 blocks from my house. Looks like LEPD is 600 number units..

Now to add more local areas, propser, frisco celina..

Have a great evening.
You should also be able to hear PAWM, the Plano system. Also note that while Prosper PD is shown in the database to use their own system, Prosper Fire is noted as using Frisco's system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Brian (COMMSCAN)
Here's the full link for the Sentinel 'Easier to Read' manual.
BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual
The forum changes the link to the page name.

While that was written for the x36HP series scanners, 90% or better of the content also applies to the SDS series scanners. You're main differences would be for items specific to the SDS scanners, such as display customization, filters, and the ability to enter a system NAC for trunked systems. None of those apply to the 436HP or 536HP.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Brian,
The link works for me (I’m using my phone at present, spending a “joyous day”) at jury duty.

If it still won’t come up for you, just go to the main page for the “Easier to Read” manuals.

I’ll look at the other link this evening, after I get home.
Yeah the link that says Sentinel still won't work but I will be able to look where you told me it was at and find it. Thanks for the info.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

jkentclax

Are all of the little elm frequencies listed on the Denton county page? Also I can’t seem to pick up prosper fire channels other than the main dispatch.

dough1590

Prosper fire and police channels are dispatched and transmit traffic through the Frisco P25 system. Frequencies are listed at the bottom on the Frisco Texas database page. I use a Unication G5 for reception, never miss a beat although the console volume seems to be extremely low.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Are all of the little elm frequencies listed on the Denton county page?
Little Elm is on the Denton County P25 Phase II trunked system, so there are no "frequencies" (conventional channels) to monitor.

Their PD is dispatched on the Patrol 3 talkgroup listed under Denton County S.O. Fire is paged out by the county, and there is a specific talkgroup listed for Little Elm Fire (listed as "private") that may be used for communications between Little Elm fire units.

See this Wiki page for more details.

Also I can’t seem to pick up prosper fire channels other than the main dispatch.

Prosper Fire has talkgroups on Frisco's system, Prosper's own P25 system, as well as the Collin County system. I'm too far away (southwest of downtown Dallas) to monitor them and verify which they use the most.
Prosper fire and police channels are dispatched and transmit traffic through the Frisco P25 system. Frequencies are listed at the bottom on the Frisco Texas database page. I use a Unication G5 for reception, never miss a beat although the console volume seems to be extremely low.
dough, being in the area, should have a better idea of what's used the most than I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.