Denver Buys Ma/com

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Phil,

To have your radio flashed with whatever feature you wish, you basically call ma-com tech support. Tell them the flash you wish to have. You will provide them with your radios esn and several other dsp numbers and such and they will provide you with the correct encryption file as they call it to flash your radio to whatever you are requesting. I have called them and obtained and enryption file to update the flash on my radio and no question was asked at all. And from what I have been told by others when it comes to obtaining flashes for esk it is the same routine and none of them have been questioned. Now to find a local shop to actually performed the flash may be a different story. I cannot vouch for that since I have not had to deal with a shop to flash my radio. In addtion as stated before in an earlier post. Figuring out the key or coding for an esk scheme that you would like to monitor will be a totally different thing all to gether as one tries to figure out the scheme. That I don't know about since I have not had to deal with esk before.

Another side note though, the flash upgrade for esk has been stated to me to cost about the same as a used provoice capable radio from ebay or a private seller.

Thayne

Well, after reading all this I guess I will go to Subway, buy a 12" BMT with Italian dressing and hot peppers, wash it down with a lemonade, and head for the nearest alley to barf--

Phil is right on; I heard this story before without all the details-The media really does suck :roll:

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Not sure about the "media" comment above. It's yet another stupid poser messes it up for the rest of us once again situations.

For Dave: With M/A-Com & Tyco's past history of control on their tech products it's interesting that that you can still order feature encryption codes over the phone from Lynchburg. I remember back in the 90's being told that the lady you would talk to in Lynchburg for feature upgrade codes was very pleasent to deal with. Hopefully she is still on the payroll with all the buyouts over the years.

I remember the hassle I went through just to get a PCS upgrade to 128 Group/Sys in 1996. Getting a local shop to do it just about required an act of congress and then when I did find one that would their tech about needed a change of shorts when he recognized Denver and Westy systems were prog in the radio (by the EEB I might add) when he flashed it. Back then Denver had the local G.E. radio shops real paranoid for some reason.

Phil.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
I agree with ya Phil. Getting the encryption codes from ma-com if you are willing to pay the prices is the easy part. If you must find a shop to flash it for you, that will prove to be the difficult part of the upgrade.

Thayne

It only means that there is another reason for Denver to go to greater lengths to not be scannable or have anyone be able to listen; and it also shows how media often sensationalizes things that most people don't care anything about.
And to answer your question about the PRO-96, If they do utilize ProVoice or ESK or both, the Pro-96 or anty other scanner will not be able to track it anymore.

It's enough to make a guy quit eating at Subway:(

jfab

Thayne said:
It only means that there is another reason for Denver to go to greater lengths to not be scannable or have anyone be able to listen; and it also shows how media often sensationalizes things that most people don't care anything about.
And to answer your question about the PRO-96, If they do utilize ProVoice or ESK or both, the Pro-96 or anty other scanner will not be able to track it anymore.

It's enough to make a guy quit eating at Subway:(
LOL!! So what is the liklyhood of other agencies switching to this system?

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Lakewood is currently Pro-voice and ESK capable. This would impact Lakewood, West Metro Fire and Wheatridge PD/FD. It's not known at this time if radios in the field have the ESK "Key" programmed into them.

Westy could later on down the road. They have older gear (M-RK's in particular) currently on their system.

Aurora. Doubtful for ESK in the immediate future. Doubtful for full time pro-voice at the rate they are going as well.

Phil.

n0doz

Keep in mind this is as much a money issue as a "security" issue. Every upgrade or new feature, whether it's ProVoice, ESK, etc., costs a lot of money per radio, and the bigger the system, the more money required. I have doubts that, with the tightening of criteria for Homeland Security grants plus less money overall, these upgrades will easily be made. There's a lot of legitimate competition for the same dollars, and items that were paid for in years past (such as radio systems) may be deemed to have "had their turn", and requests that had to wait will get the money this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.