Denver Center DIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Hi there: I live in Mesa County, Colorado and I'm trying to reprogram my airplane scanner.
I've got Walker Field, Grand Junction, Colorado all done but having problems finding the frequency for Denver Center for DIA. I used to have it but I lost my list. I hear the pilots say turn to Denver Center
at 327.5 something, but if that's the case I may need a new scanner. Mine is over 15 years old.
Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Hi there: thanks so much for the Radio Frequency Reference on my DIA question. I got 132.500 to work but it sounds like I'm only hearing half the conversation. I'm either hearing the pilot talk to Denver Center or Denver Center responding. I used to hear the pilot talk and the Denver Center respond. Perhaps another frequency to complete the sequence? I threw out my old frequency list two or three months ago when I was spring cleaning because I didn't think the scanner would loose them. Boy, was I wrong. :)

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
I just heard DIA say something to a Delta flight plus telling him to have a good day. I'm not hearing the airline pilot talking to DIA...that's what I'm missing.

N8IAA

What scanner? Base, handheld. Do you change out the antenna on it often? Do you have an external, outside antenna that you use for your current radio? There is a lot that can degrade the receive signal. Let us know.
You may want to invest in a new scanner that receives the VHF/UHF airbands like the Uniden BC125AT.

Larry

Last edited:

kcoleman

I just heard DIA say something to a Delta flight plus telling him to have a good day. I'm not hearing the airline pilot talking to DIA...that's what I'm missing.

Based on the information in this thread my guess is that you are possibly hearing the ground controller from one of the RCAG sites near you; either Grand Mesa or Grand Mesa Site A, counting both VHF & UHF frequencies there are 9 total between these two sites.

Depending on the amount of traffic in these sectors, you might have one controller working a couple of sectors. And they will simulcast on several frequencies; this might explain why you hear the controller and not the pilot or vice versa. Depending on the number of frequencies you are scanning and if delay is turned on you might not hear both sides unless the pilot and controller are using the same frequency.

Hope that helps...
Keith,

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Hi from Mesa County, Colorado

Hi Keith: could be. I have an old Radio Shack PRO-2044 that bought probably back in 1997.
Everything worked fine and then I had it off for a couple of years. Just started it up again.
I can hear Walker Field in GJ just fine. The 132.850 frequency, I used to hear the airlines pilots call in to Denver Center and then Denver Center answer, etc. Now I just hear Denver Center, not the pilots.
Maybe my equipment is too old? I only scan the Walker Field frequency and Denver Center's.

If the delay is turned on......just tested, the delay button is off.

I now just selected Denver Center to remain on. Maybe the Walker Field traffic is cutting off
some of the pilots tranmissions. I just heard Delta talk about light chop, so I know that's a pilot.

Will keep you posted.

Talk soon, and thanks for the reply.

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Hi Larry: so my equipment may be too old? It's a Radio Shack Pro 2044 from 1997.

N8IAA

Hi Larry: so my equipment may be too old? It's a Radio Shack Pro 2044 from 1997.

If you ran the radio everyday for all those years, and then let it sit for a couple. Yes, it can degrade the radio. I've had it happen to some of the radios I had years ago. Electronics do have limited life:) It's like everything else, as it gets older, if it isn't maintained.............
Are you using the original antenna that came with the radio?
Larry

N8IAA

For a check, maybe get the telescoping antenna and a right angle bnc connector to see if it improves your signal reception before going for a new scanner.
Larry

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
See airnav.com. Put in Denver International Airport.

Then look at the Arrival and Departure procedures. (it's a list of links) There are frequencies listed on those tables that give a good starting point. (upper left corner) and they show the list of navigation checkpoints the pilots are using and sometimes reporting to ATC.

Freqs could have changed over the years or the arrival routing might have changed somewhat. Routing could be changed just for the day you were listening due to wind or thunderstorms or different runways in use at DIA.

I would not immediately assume the radio is degraded. It can happen but it's not the most likely explanation.

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Ok,where would I buy these items? Radio Shack? You have been so great on helping me out.

N8IAA

Ok,where would I buy these items? Radio Shack? You have been so great on helping me out.

If you are asking about the antenna and bnc connector, yes Radio Shack. The bnc connector will have a female and male end. The antenna will have a small black coil in it. The antenna has a bnc male that mates with the female end. Your scanner has a motorola to bnc connector on it. You'll need to get a motorola to bnc adapter, or, if they have an older motorola telescoping antenna, you won't need an adapter.
Larry

Last edited:

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Hi Larry: Just checked the back of my scanner. I have a thing marked Antenna. I will head to Radio Shack and see what they have later this weekend. You have been so kind. I will let you know if it works. Carla

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Hi Larry: great news. I finally found Denver Center, 134.500 frequency. I also entered Denver Approach. Going to try Denver Departing next. All frequencies are working great. I don't need the antenna after all. I'm so excited. My old scanner still works. I just wanted to tell you and everyone else thank for helping me out. Carla

Status
Not open for further replies.