Denver EDACS transition to P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw2872

Rob W. caught an interesting conversation with the EEB techs talking about using the Migration Gateway between EDACS and P25 and they could not say enough how much better P25 sounded and they wanted to push for P25 only radios rather than the dual EDACS/P25 radios that are fielded now. Of course the more conservative approach was mentioned as well, with them pushing P25 radios to Public Works first.

Rob and I heard it on EDACS 129 and Harry heard techs talking on P25 TG-35048. I don't know if they were the same conversations or the same channel patched across both systems but EDACS TG-129 is what the techs call "EEB Systems-1".

Listen for yourself. I uploaded the file to the MNN Yahoo page since even if I zip the file it won't let me upload over 195 kbs. Wow, really?

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MNN/files

Last edited:

dw2872

I hear state techs talk in the clear sometimes too. I've got days of recording of them too. If you want privacy, use your cell phone or face to face. Besides, nothing top secret about this conversation and nothing new. That's not the subject of this post anyway. There is a rant forum about encryption for that and there are some good conversations on there about that too.

This post is about the Denver P25 transition so we can prepare for that.

Last edited:

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
So is Denver still on EDAC or are they on the P25 now? When you put in the P25 does the frequencies have to be in the right line number to follow their conversation? How far from Denver will they be able to get out? Has the new frequencies been posted for the P25 system yet?

dw2872

They are still on EDACS. Right now they are just testing on P25 here and there.

I would imagine that we will start noticing some big changes around the middle of February, depending on how there testing goes as well as some politics between the brass and press. It will be fun to watch.

county

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I'm sure this has been covered already - I just can't find the detail on which P25 system Denver is migrating to. . State of CO DTRS or MARC I'd assume? Or are they putting up their own system?

Steve2003

Sorry I'm sure this has been covered already - I just can't find the detail on which P25 system Denver is migrating to. . State of CO DTRS or MARC I'd assume? Or are they putting up their own system?

Right now they have their own site on the MARC system (site 6-006). It is still yet to be determined if this will be the only site they use, if they will be adding other sites, or if they will roam onto the other sites on the system.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Something of note in recent weeks. Keep an eye on the tables data. I've noted this with unitrunker vs Pro96com. It has changed multiple times with base freq's and channel spacing i.e. 851.0000, 851.00625, 851.0125 and channel spacing .00625. .0125, .150 on both slot 1 and 2.

Granted any new scanners catch this off of the CC though anyone with 1st generation P25 scanners are going to be lost when it deviates from the normal bandpland.

dw2872

Heard each DPD District (1 through 6) Dispatch channel over on P25 for at least a few minutes each this morning. But mostly D1 and D5 so far today.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Heard each DPD District (1 through 6) Dispatch channel over on P25 for at least a few minutes each this morning. But mostly D1 and D5 so far today.

Folks, you better listen to Denver EDACS while you still can, once EDACS goes away you may never hear anything from DPD radios ever again...

scanlist

35116 with Dispatch 5 fhis afternoon.

Noted testing earlier on 37991 with every alert tone available on a console. Almost sounded like they were tweaking levels.

As typical with Harris digital AGC is a must unless you love really distorted audio.

dw2872

I listened to the recordings from 37991 and was hoping I would hear something to identify the TG besides tones and "Test, 1, 2. Test, 1, 2, 3." but no such luck today.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like someone is making changes to the EDACS Public Safety system. Specifically, the TX output signal seems to be stronger as of this morning. Also, it kinda sounds like they are adjusting audio settings for certain dispatch channels.

Also, in the last few weeks I've also been tracking a "new" TG on Denver PS EDACS, namely TG 1777. It also appears on Arvada EDACS. It's some kind of law channel, possibly a task force? Also TG 818 recently appeared on Denver PS EDACS, it might be EEB-related.

Last edited:

dw2872

I heard the EEB guys talking about messing with a deviation setting on all the channels but they may have been talking about the P25 side.

---------------------

Denver EDACS 1777 is the Metro Auto Theft TF. They have been active on that channel for the last few years. It also appears in Aurora's system as 1777. They are in DTRS too, but don't know off the top of my head what TG number it is on there.

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
Denver PD P25

Will I be able to hit the new Denver P25 up around Loveland area? EDACS I can not hit up here. Where would I go to put in the new CC's for Denver P25 and will they keep the same TG's?

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Depends upon which P25 sites wind up with Denver affiliations. MUCH will depend upon where you are in Loveland - your elevation and possible shading. You should be able to see the Mead site from up there, but whether Denver will ever appear (or be permitted) on that site, we don't yet know. Not all sites accept traffic from all agencies, even when the RF is good. Gonna have to wait to see how all of this shakes out.

What is the most southern P25 site that you are able to pick up now from your location?

scanlist

Obvious confusion for EC as Denver has no connection to DTRS.

For spirit: the current P25 site we are talking about in this thread is on Mt Morrison and is full strength in South Greeley. You may be able to hear it.

Now the million dollar question guys. I'm thinking that this current situation is for the initial change from EDACS to P25. Long term would it be correct in thinking that the current EDACS simulcast system will be upgraded to P25 and eventually become the primary communications system with Mt Morrison as a backup like it currently is for the EDACS system?

Status
Not open for further replies.