Denver Engine 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

eruterbories

I am hearing engine 18 being dispatched on DFD dispatch. I am positive the station isnt done, but i know the rig is done. Does anyone know is he is stationed somewhere else to run calls?

dw2872

I've heard them on district channel 4 and just after noon today I heard them say they were at quarters at 14s.

Last edited:

dw2872

They aired a special welcome to Engine-18 on DFD Event-8 this Sunday morning when they were conducting the DFD radio checks for all apparatus.

Then they came on District channel 4 at 8:52 am and told Chief-4 they were in service and ready to roll except they had no foam at all and went to Station-6 to pick up 4 cans they had waiting for them.

Their radio IDs are:

Radio A.....13118
Radio B.....13168
Radio C.....13518
Radio D.....13568
Radio ?.....13418 (forgive me I am not an experienced fire buff but would this radio that always reports "Engine-18 is in quarters" be the driver or an officer or something?)

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
The $8 million Denver Fire Station 18, funded by the voter-approved Better Denver Bond program, is being constructed at Alameda Avenue and Xenia Street (between Monaco and Havana streets) and is expected to help the fire department meet standard response times.

Jim<

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Yep, it's on the south side of Lowry. Incidentally, what did they do with the old Lowry fire station?

rfburns

Lowry had two firehouses. #2 was by the bowling alley and the Airman's Club in the old Air Force Academy area. The rear of the station faced 11th Avenue.

Both stations used 173.5875 for fire ops.

After the station was closed, I believe it was used by Civil Air Patrol for vehicle maintenance and logistics.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I was a reservist at Lowry before it closed, and I was the "Lowry car" on the Dist. 3 night shift for a period of time after the closure. I knew where the old station was, just didn't know what became of it. It was quite a place to drive around after the closure....

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Fire radio ID's

They aired a special welcome to Engine-18 on DFD Event-8 this Sunday morning when they were conducting the DFD radio checks for all apparatus.

Then they came on District channel 4 at 8:52 am and told Chief-4 they were in service and ready to roll except they had no foam at all and went to Station-6 to pick up 4 cans they had waiting for them.

Their radio IDs are:

Radio A.....13118
Radio B.....13168
Radio C.....13518
Radio D.....13568
Radio ?.....13418 (forgive me I am not an experienced fire buff but would this radio that always reports "Engine-18 is in quarters" be the driver or an officer or something?)

The radio used to call in quarters would normally be the rig radio; the mobile on the engine. Radio A is probably the officer's portable, B the engineer, and C and D firefighters. That's the setup in Aurora, except instead of 'Engine 18 Alpha' (officer), Aurora uses 'Engine 11.1'; Engine eleven point one. Then .2 is the engineer, and .3 and .4 are firefighters.

dw2872

The radio used to call in quarters would normally be the rig radio; the mobile on the engine. Radio A is probably the officer's portable, B the engineer, and C and D firefighters. That's the setup in Aurora, except instead of 'Engine 18 Alpha' (officer), Aurora uses 'Engine 11.1'; Engine eleven point one. Then .2 is the engineer, and .3 and .4 are firefighters.

Perfect info. Thanks!

MikeyB

When Engine 18 and Engine are both in service, how do they determine which one runs? Would 18's run calls in what their new district is going to be or do they alternate. When is the new 18 supposed to open?

MikeyB

Lowry had two firehouses. #2 was by the bowling alley and the Airman's Club in the old Air Force Academy area. The rear of the station faced 11th Avenue.

Both stations used 173.5875 for fire ops.

After the station was closed, I believe it was used by Civil Air Patrol for vehicle maintenance and logistics.

Do you know the cross-streets of the 2 old Lowry stations?

kc0kp

When Engine 18 and Engine are both in service, how do they determine which one runs? Would 18's run calls in what their new district is going to be or do they alternate. When is the new 18 supposed to open?
Engine 18 is running out of station 18.

kc0kp

Do you know the cross-streets of the 2 old Lowry stations?
Red Cross way and First Place was the main station. It was for a time Denver station 5. rfburns knows where the other one is/was. It was near Yosemite and 11th off of what is now called 10th Drive. I could not see it on Google satellite view, I think it is gone.

dw2872

Anyone know the rough time frame that Engine-18 finally got into their new home at Station-18? I was going to research that but if someone knows already then that would be better. Engine-18 was running calls out of Station-14 last month before Station-18 was finished.

Also, is this the same DFD Station-18 that Travis was talking about back in 2008???

This just out of the Chief's meetings on Friday 10/3/08-

Station 18 is a bonded station and ground breaking is expected in the next 3 months. It will be located near Lowery at Alameda Ave and Xenia St on the N side of Alameda E of the Amli at Lowery apartments. Several months back, there was rumor that 19s a pair would be split and the truck would be relocated to 18s. Now, there is not an answer at this time as to what will staff it. It is expected to be completed 9 months after ground breaking.

Station 35 is going to located at 51st Ave and Beeler St near the Northfield Shopping District. At this time, the city is working with the developer to obtain the land and the station is not expected to be built until the need arises. But it sounds like all that needs to be done is a few signatures and the land is ours for future development.

Older news for those that don't know, Skyline has been acquired. The station remains property of the fire district. The district will pay the city approx $200,000/yr for fire protection. Denver got the ALF rig and it was repainted white. Engine 19 is expected to get that rig very soon after some minor modifications. 22s and 24s first in are close enough to Skyline that they can cover without the need for Skyline's station.

Some rumors going around the DFD were we were looking at possibly merging Englewood and Sheridan FDs....well...those are just rumors at this time. There is NO talk at any level that I have my ear on, both on the DFD and Englewood sides.

And that's that in a nut shell!

kc0kp

Anyone know the rough time frame that Engine-18 finally got into their new home at Station-18? I was going to research that but if someone knows already then that would be better. Engine-18 was running calls out of Station-14 last month before Station-18 was finished.

Also, is this the same DFD Station-18 that Travis was talking about back in 2008???
Feb 17 and yes

Last edited:

eruterbories

I recently heard that DFD has purchased a Type III wildland engine which will be delivered this year and housed at Station 18. It will be cross-staffed when necessary and used for deployments.

Who is going to manufacture it? And what will it call sign be?

Status
Not open for further replies.