Denver metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0QNB

just a simple Denver question, I lived in Denver in 77-81 (minus a stint in the military) At that time there were 4 channels all uhf 453.100. 453.200, 453.300, 453.400, main DPD dispatch, form a curiosity point of view are they still using that scheme, or did they go 800mHz trunking? and/or digital? When I lived was there there were actually times when there was no traffic on the above 4 channels , sometimes for minutes.

Also at that time is when the Aurora PD started using MDTs and not much radio (voice traffic), for routine stuff like license plate checks and the like as far as I could tell of course that has probably changed now, like I said just curious.

ch40n1k

just a simple Denver question, I lived in Denver in 77-81 (minus a stint in the military) At that time there were 4 channels all uhf 453.100. 453.200, 453.300, 453.400, main DPD dispatch, form a curiosity point of view are they still using that scheme, or did they go 800mHz trunking? and/or digital? When I lived was there there were actually times when there was no traffic on the above 4 channels , sometimes for minutes.

Also at that time is when the Aurora PD started using MDTs and not much radio (voice traffic), for routine stuff like license plate checks and the like as far as I could tell of course that has probably changed now, like I said just curious.

Denver is now using an EDACS trunked system. They are not on the state digital system, but will be implementing ESK in the very near future.

Scan-Denver

Unfortunately yes Denver has gone to 800 mhz and after July 4th, it's rumored that Denver will switch on the ESK (Edacs Security Key) switch. After this happens, the only scanner that will allow you to monitor Denver is the GRE PSR 500 or 600.

Here is a link to all the frequencies and talkgroups in use for Denver's Public Safety System.

Last edited:

KC0QNB

Ok a little more info than I needed, but thanks, a lot of stuff changes in 27 years. I have no plans on returning to the area except to pass through. I like my little house in my little town and I don't have to worry about antenna restrictions, except the tower(s) can't be higher than 50 feet, of course I need a permit to build a tower, and that costs 10 bucks.
Thanks again for the info.

(OT)1 more quick question, but given the size of the area people wise but what the heck
Does anyone here on the forum know a guy named Howard Fistell, used to run Fistells micro electronics out on east Colfax., I guess I do miss Denver a little bit.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Going Back In Time.

Back when monitoring Denver PD did not require an engineering degree!

453.100 District 1 N.W.
453.450 District 2 N.E.
453.775 District 3 S.E.
453.975 District 4 S.W.
453.600 Clearance
453.350 Intel Bureau
453.700 Vice

Denver Police switched over to the EDACS radio system the morning of December 20, 1992 and have been using EDACS radio network systems ever since.

Phil.

Scan-Denver

Back when monitoring Denver PD did not require an engineering degree!

453.100 District 1 N.W.
453.450 District 2 N.E.
453.775 District 3 S.E.
453.975 District 4 S.W.
453.600 Clearance
453.350 Intel Bureau
453.700 Vice

Denver Police switched over to the EDACS radio system the morning of December 20, 1992 and have been using EDACS radio network systems ever since.

Phil.

kc0kp

Ok a little more info than I needed, but thanks, a lot of stuff changes in 27 years. I have no plans on returning to the area except to pass through. I like my little house in my little town and I don't have to worry about antenna restrictions, except the tower(s) can't be higher than 50 feet, of course I need a permit to build a tower, and that costs 10 bucks.
Thanks again for the info.

(OT)1 more quick question, but given the size of the area people wise but what the heck
Does anyone here on the forum know a guy named Howard Fistell, used to run Fistells micro electronics out on east Colfax., I guess I do miss Denver a little bit.

Howard closed that store. He is still around. He pops up every once in a while at his dad's old store at 10th and Bannock. His brother and sister run the place and are the only employees. It is the last electronic store in Denver but is only a shadow of what it once was.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
On Fistell's: It's pretty sad for this area noted as being tech that we practically have one legacy electronic parts store. It's been years since I have visited the store but one could spend a lot of time going through all the stuff in the place. Kinda like a toy store and museum all in one place.

On vcorlone's comment: To simplifiy (rocket science explanation not needed K) ESK is altered control channel data and works fine on systems throughout the country that have implemented it so it will not be going away in the future for the Denver public safety system.

Phil.

KC0QNB

Bummer about Fistells, I would go there once a week or so, and go downstairs and look at all that old stuff they even had a 1kw am broadcast transmitter down there. I went to one of the brothers birthday parties one time as a guest of Howard's, at that time LOX was $15 a pound and we ate a lot of it, I had a blast.
I remember the first time I met the old man, he was in his office, looked at me and growled what do YOU want, at first I didn't know if I wanted to proceed with my question I was ready to depart, after about 1 minute his tone changed, I sat down and had a nice talk, for about an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.