Denver moving to state digital system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I assume that Denver will move to the statewide digital system, as it seems most other counties are doing. Is this correct?

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
I agree, not likely. However, keep in mind that the system is now controlled by the city IT department after the consolidation of individual department radio units, so anything is possible down the road. Going to P25 is the most-likely scenario, now that EDACS has a limited lifetime, but even that switch will take quite a bit of time to accomplish.

Thayne

Perhaps I'm just daft; why do they need to replace EDACS systems?

They don't need to very fast, but Federal Money seems to like P25, & EDACS is not going to be supported after a few more years, and a lot of the present installed mobiles & portables will do both--.
They could integrate it in a deliberate manner, using the frequencies and sites they have now, and perhaps avoid some of the pitfalls of being totally dependent on DTRS. Let's see how they do with the Lakewood thing and maybe there might be a clearer path forward.

My personal opinion on the downside(s) is that the Feds do not actually have any money, Firemen will HATE digital, and if they try to simulcast all digital from the same sites they have now it will make it a possible nightmare, but to be fair the Denver PV seems to work well enough from what I hear occasionally. I also hear encryption being used too, but that is another story that I won't start since nobody ever likes to hear what I think about streaming--:p

kc0kp

it is no secret that the present radios Harris is selling are the last that will have EDACS capability. They have P25 feature sets that can be turned on (for a fee of course). The days of Harris support for EDACS are numbered.
Harris is finally releasing their "Unity" radio that is on all bands:VHF, UHF, 700, 800 with, all flavors of narrow FM, P25 trunk capable, P25 conventional capable..Glaringly absent is EDACS. Since it would not have been hard to add it, it shows where the future as Harris sees it lies. .

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
This sounds all too familiar...

Since this thread has potential of rapidly graduating to epic status....

Yeah I'm gonna question a quick post that infers that PW followed by PS is jumping on board the happy fun state network. Jumping on board the state system? No way. The city likes control over I.T.

Replacing the current EDACS infrastructure sure I see that as in years down the road. Harris pushing the P25 option with their current EDACS customers was not unexpected.

Unless the beltway is funding the total replacement of all 3 existing systems it would be a hard sell to spend millions while the city asks for unpaid furlough days and staff reductions. For a city dealing with "budget shortfalls" this will look awkward if this happens in the next year or two.

Aurora is switching too? Aren't they broke?

If Westy is looking to move to P25 why have they setup a secondary EDACS site?

Over time I see all the current EDACS systems going away. Harris is still going to provide support for a few years. Unless the sales droids are using the EOL for field equipment this year as a you need to replace it yesterday strategy.

Besides Denver will likely go full ENC if given a chance. The cat and mouse game with the media and scanning public has been on-going since 1992 when PS went EDACS.

towersites

Premium Subscriber
Thats right who said anything about moving to the State. What will be interesting as far as ENC is to see were Chief White takes that. If you look at the P25 system in Louisville everything is ENC but the main dispatch GRPS.

scanlist

Let's get this out of the way.

lisalolo posted:

"I assume that Denver will move to the statewide digital system, as it seems most other counties are doing. Is this correct?"

You posted:

"First Public Works and Then Safety.".

One could easily see it as an affirmation to the lisalolo's post.

K4XB

P25, no DTRS

I agree, not likely. However, keep in mind that the system is now controlled by the city IT department after the consolidation of individual department radio units, so anything is possible down the road. Going to P25 is the most-likely scenario, now that EDACS has a limited lifetime, but even that switch will take quite a bit of time to accomplish.

It was immediately after this that towersites said "first public works and then public safety". So trust towersites on this. P25 on the way sometime.
K4XB

scanlist

It's usually a simple question that get's these epic threads going.

Denver is going P25 and don't ask questions about it.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I think we've answered the questions here, closing-

Status
Not open for further replies.