Denver Police LOD death

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Not your normal "breaking news" but certainly of interest to those who follow DPD.
A fellow officer and Academy classmate passed away today on duty.
Tech Patrick Anderson 79063 had a heart attack at Headquarters. He was taken to DHMC, but did not survive.
Pat leaves a wife and a couple children. Arrangements are pending.

He was a good guy, a fixture at Dist. 5 for many years, where he was an FTO/Corporal. He "retired" to HQ a few months back. He was scheduled to transfer to DIA in a month or so - and I was set to be his "FTO."

Better to celebrate than mourn: Pat led a full life, he met what life gave him with courage and humor, and he'll be remembered fondly by friends and family. A good man who tried to leave things better than he found them. RIP.

If there's any interest, I'll post funeral arrangements. As an LODD, a department funeral is authorized, but it's up to the family if they want it.

Thank you, list members, for your indulgence!

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Prayers go to him and his family....

Warbirdhunter

Not your normal "breaking news" but certainly of interest to those who follow DPD.
A fellow officer and Academy classmate passed away today on duty.
Tech Patrick Anderson 79063 had a heart attack at Headquarters. He was taken to DHMC, but did not survive.
Pat leaves a wife and a couple children. Arrangements are pending.

He was a good guy, a fixture at Dist. 5 for many years, where he was an FTO/Corporal. He "retired" to HQ a few months back. He was scheduled to transfer to DIA in a month or so - and I was set to be his "FTO."

Better to celebrate than mourn: Pat led a full life, he met what life gave him with courage and humor, and he'll be remembered fondly by friends and family. A good man who tried to leave things better than he found them. RIP.

If there's any interest, I'll post funeral arrangements. As an LODD, a department funeral is authorized, but it's up to the family if they want it.

Thank you, list members, for your indulgence!

If you post the info sir. I'll go.

Daughter of Patrick

This is incredible to come across this. I was looking for a story from the 1980's about my father on google. I am Patrick Anderson's youngest daughter Jessica. My father was extremely excited to put his uniform back on to be at the airport. I think the greatest strength for my family is to see how many lives he truly touched. I know he will get the recognition that he deserves. There will be a public viewing on Monday February 15 from 12:00 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Horan and McConaty Family Chapel. Tuesday will be the funeral starting at 10:00 a.m at St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church, where he was baptized. And he will be buried at Interment Mt. Olivet Cemetery, where his grampy and other family members are. A following reception will be at the PPA building. My father passed away on his grandson's 3rd birthday. That little boy was his complete pride and joy. As well as his family members and friends. Please if you need to contact any of us please email me at jct2008@hotmail.com

jfab

This is incredible to come across this. I was looking for a story from the 1980's about my father on google. I am Patrick Anderson's youngest daughter Jessica. My father was extremely excited to put his uniform back on to be at the airport. I think the greatest strength for my family is to see how many lives he truly touched. I know he will get the recognition that he deserves. There will be a public viewing on Monday February 15 from 12:00 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Horan and McConaty Family Chapel. Tuesday will be the funeral starting at 10:00 a.m at St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church, where he was baptized. And he will be buried at Interment Mt. Olivet Cemetery, where his grampy and other family members are. A following reception will be at the PPA building. My father passed away on his grandson's 3rd birthday. That little boy was his complete pride and joy. As well as his family members and friends. Please if you need to contact any of us please email me at jct2008@hotmail.com
Wow...I think sometimes on this forum we read about all these deaths and terrible incidents and are "desensitized" in a way. To hear from the family member of an incident on here is incredible. I loved reading about what a great person your father was. I hope he rests in peace and I think I speak for the entire radioreference community when I say our thoughts and prayers go out to your family. Thank you for posting the information on the viewing, I'm sure many of us will take advantage of being able to pay our respects to your father/family.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Postscript...
I attended the funeral today. There was a large turnout of officers, all the chiefs and the Manager, and what seemed to be a long motorcade (hard to gauge when you're in it...) Many thanks to the officers from Jeffco, Wheat Ridge, Mtn View, & Lakeside that manned the street closures from the church to the cemetery via 44th Av. A special thanks to the citizens who, seeing the passing vehicles, stopped for a few minutes to watch with many taking off their caps and hard hats or cover their hearts out of respect... from this participant's point of view, my respect goes out to you as well.
And with that, back to our regular mayhem on the streets.

Mick

Officer Anderson

When this post was made I checked Denver newspapers and TV stations for an article about the line of duty death. I was unable to locate anything about Officer Anderson there or at the police officer Web sites either.

Officer Down
The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc. (ODMP)

Was Officer Anderson a Reserve Police Officer? He should be memorialized properly at the Police Web sites. Thanks in advance for more information.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mick, see the OP. LOD isn't confined to violent deaths. As for the local anti-police media, well...

Mick

I'm not familiar with "OP". ODMP and PoliceOne are both Pro Law Enforcement Web sites and will show all law officers deaths.

Hi Mick, see the OP. LOD isn't confined to violent deaths. As for the local anti-police media, well...

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
OP = Original Post.
Yeah, there are many sites that are LE-oriented. They'll typically report violence, but very few deal with the "silent killers" like cancer and heart disease, because it gets too technical and it's not glamorous. I don't bother with most. As for info, I get more from this group than I do from my own dept. :) (Thanks, guys!)

Mick

I now understand why this was not considered a "Line of Duty Death" after talking to Denver PD's Light Duty Sgt. this afternoon. A "heart attack" or even a "PTSD" type death is not considered a "Line of Duty Death" while the police employee is on the job, due to Colo. state law. Thus we won't find Off. Anderson listed at the ODMP or policeone.com Web sites because Colorado does not recognize it as such.

When this post was made I checked Denver newspapers and TV stations for an article about the line of duty death. I was unable to locate anything about Officer Anderson there or at the police officer Web sites either.

Officer Down

Was Officer Anderson a Reserve Police Officer? He should be memorialized properly at the Police Web sites. Thanks in advance for more information.

speard

Premium Subscriber
I now understand why this was not considered a "Line of Duty Death" after talking to Denver PD's Light Duty Sgt. this afternoon. A "heart attack" or even a "PTSD" type death is not considered a "Line of Duty Death" while the police employee is on the job, due to Colo. state law. Thus we won't find Off. Anderson listed at the ODMP or policeone.com Web sites because Colorado does not recognize it as such.

This is not entirely accurate, a heart attack in the line of duty can be considered line of duty depending on the circumstances. When Officer Nick Heine did in Pueblo, it was from a heart attack: Police Officer Nicholas Karl Heine, Pueblo Police Department

rockiemntgirl

Just saw this post after, over, 3 years

Officer Down

I am Patrick's Widow, yes! he was a Reserve Police Officer for four years before he became a full time Officer in 1979. :) Thank you, Everyone for your thoughts after Patrick died.
Annmarie J. Anderson

rockiemntgirl

Hi:
In response to Speard's comment, above about a heart attack not being considered an in the line of duty death? And the Officer in Pueblo that also had a heart attack and was considered an in the line of duty death....
I whole heartedly believe that Patrick Anderson's death of a heart attack, in property on 02-08-2010 should have been ruled an in the line of duty death for the fact that he was in Property, handling and lifting property when he had his heart attack that morning. I still do not understand why it was not put as an in the line of duty death.
If you read up on the "Officer's Memorial wall" in Denver, it will state that an Officer's death of natural causes (heart attack), on duty are not an In the line of Duty Death.. Unless!!!!! they are in the process of a call or arrest, etc. of LIFTING HEAVY OBJECTS! Patrick was in Property Bureau for the last 3 years of his career, lifting his share of heavy objects, handling blood samples, nasty evidence samples, boxes, etc.
But hey, I'm just the Widow of Patrick Robert Anderson, so what do I know? I can only accept what I was told and have them keep an extra 250,000.00 from me and my family :( because even though he died on duty, lifting heavy objects, his death was ruled on duty death instead of in the line of duty death.
Annmarie

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Hi Annmarie, glad to see you're still full of the fighting spirit! I'm down to one year until I hang it up....
Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.