Denver PS system question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

I have another dumb question, I searched and could not find an answer so I thought I would pick the minds of some of the experts here. How can a Department as big as Denver Public safety go from using 24 frequencies to 19, and still make sure that when someone keys up they get though? It just seems like to me with less frequencies people would be walking all over each other when they are trying to get out on the radio. Denver PD has what 6 districts, a TO unit not to mention the Detective channels and the swat Channels. Then Denver Fire has a ton of talk groups with all their fire grounds and all. So getting rid of those 4 frequencies seems like a bad thing to me. Can someone tell me what I missing? Thanks for your time in advance.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Because not everyone talks at the same time all the time, thus the purpose of trunking! If you watched the system via unitrunker or etrunk, you can see that its very rare when it gets over 75% full at one time.

cstockmyer

abqscan said:
Because not everyone talks at the same time all the time, thus the purpose of trunking! If you watched the system via unitrunker or etrunk, you can see that its very rare when it gets over 75% full at one time.

Ok I can understand that somewhat. But then what happens when the DNC rolls around Erik? In past threads and in the news it sounds like there will be a ton more users on the Denver PS system. So why not wait till after to cut the frequencies. I thought it was always better to have them and not need them rather then not have them and need them?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
cstockmyer said:
it sounds like there will be a ton more users on the Denver PS system.

Why does it sound this way?

cstockmyer

abqscan said:
Why does it sound this way?

I am just referring to the news articles and the past posts here, about how DPD is asking for help from around the state to help with the DNC. Also the news stories about all the groups that are planning to protest around "the can" that week. So that to me tells me there is going to be a ton more users then the "normal" load on the system, Does that make what I am asking more clear?

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Lets do the math shall we?

The old Mt Morrison site has 24 repeaters. The 8th Ave backup site may have had up to 20 repeaters if memory serves me correctly.

The new 7 site simulcast system has 20 repeaters per site for a total of 140 repeaters.

Adding the additional 4 channels would require an additional 28 repeaters along with voting receiver equipment. I'm thinking along the lines of cost and budget on this one.

Can the network handle the additional radio traffic? I'm thinking yes.

Phil.

cstockmyer

scanlist said:
Lets do the math shall we?

The old Mt Morrison site has 24 repeaters. The 8th Ave backup site may have had up to 20 repeaters if memory serves me correctly.

The new 7 site simulcast system has 20 repeaters per site for a total of 140 repeaters.

Adding the additional 4 channels would require an additional 28 repeaters along with voting receiver equipment. I'm thinking along the lines of cost and budget on this one.

Can the network handle the additional radio traffic? I'm thinking yes.

Phil.

Thank you Phil, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.