Denver Public safety...why cant I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakecharmer

I am currently in denver for the week visiting family and programmed my 996 with all the Denver public safety stuff before i left Kansas City. I heard a short conversation on the narcotics talk group on the way into town but have not heard a single peep on any talk group since. I checked the database against my programming and found a couple frequencies were different and fixed it but still havnt heard a thing. Am i doing something wrong? Find it hard to believe there is just no action in this town.

Thayne

If you never did the updates from Uniden to enable ESK on EDACS systems that could be it. Denver, Lakewood, & a few other places in the country use it.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
In addition to the firmware update for ESK that Thayne mentioned...

You said you "found a couple frequencies were different" so I assume you made the necessary changes for the rebanding that happened last year?

Also, what part of the metro area are you in with your 996?

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
The ESK update is contained in the 3.xx firmware upgrade. On the MENU, look for settings, and there is an option that lets you see what your current firmware version is. You also need ESK for the Lakewood/Wheat Ridge/West Metro Fire EDACS system. If you don't have the upgrade, the radio won't recognize the control channel, and will keep looking in vain for what it thinks is a 'real' control channel.

snakecharmer

In addition to the firmware update for ESK that Thayne mentioned...

You said you "found a couple frequencies were different" so I assume you made the necessary changes for the rebanding that happened last year?

Also, what part of the metro area are you in with your 996?

I only found like 2 frequencies that were different than what I had programmed in. Wanting to say the last two in the list but I went ahead and changed them. Nothing else needs to be changed for the rebanding is there? Never dealt with that. I am assuming the ESK update is what I need to do but didnt have a chance to do it before I left Denver. My dad lives right off of Cherry Creek around Washington and Speer. I will probably be back out there later in the year and will try again once I update my software.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.