Denver Safety Radio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan-Denver

Denver's new and improved radio system is having problems tonight! Radio keeps flashing "CC Scan" off and on for about the last 10 minutes.

f0urtyfive

Premium Subscriber
oh; I've been listening to it since about 6 PM and havent had any problems; I heard a few calls from DFD that "my MDT is down" but not many... I also have the raw RF baseband of the control channel open in another window (for a project I'm working on) and it looks standard / string... maybe a little bit of a weak waveform but nothing out of the ordinary.

Although, I think I am pretty close to the transmitter...

Scan-Denver

oh; I've been listening to it since about 6 PM and havent had any problems; I heard a few calls from DFD that "my MDT is down" but not many... I also have the raw RF baseband of the control channel open in another window (for a project I'm working on) and it looks standard / string... maybe a little bit of a weak waveform but nothing out of the ordinary.

Although, I think I am pretty close to the transmitter...
What area are you located in?

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
They are not using the Mount Morrison site. If they were I would have a 100% signal up here.

Scan-Denver

They are not using the Mount Morrison site. If they were I would have a 100% signal up here.
Hey buddy! Yeah I kinda figured that when I checked my feed and the signal was nice and strong downtown. It's so strong that I don't even need an antenna connected and I still get 3 bars of signal.

Hello I have an HP-1. I live in Castle Rock. Denver Safety system has been a problem since I got my scanner 3 or 4 months ago. Just sounds like weak signal on all channels. I , and hear systems in Arapahoe, Jefferson and Douglas counties as well as State Patrol from several counties away. Denver is my only problem. Attenuation is OFF. Have adjusted squelch and range but no change. Is there something with the HP-1 and Denver's EDACS system that may be causing the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
The Denver Public Safety radio system is a multi-tower simulcast system that uses the same frequencies at multiple sites throughout the city. Reception at distances from the city of Denver are usually noisy with fades as a result of signals from multiple sites mixing at your location.

As you are a distance from the city of Denver other than a outdoor directional 800 MHz antenna there is really not a whole lot that can be done for reception of the Denver Public Safety radio system.

The sites you are hearing on the state (DTRS) system are likely on towers in the foothills and mountain top locations providing wide coverage.

I'm sure others here will point you to information on how simulcast systems work.

04Z1V6

If you use a yagi pointed of center of one of the towers you will get an acceptable transmission, I have tried too point into the hart of Denver and found that because I have transmissions from many towers my 106, 197 or the 396xt has problems, Jim sold me on the yagi and there is a thread on the board that sold me on using the yagi off center of the towers. I use the yagi now for other long range monitoring and listen to Denver online more often because I am lazy. I do well with most Denver radio systems using a Discone from radio shack in the attic but as you said it is very scratchy.

Thank you for your responses to my question about Denver monitoring. I'll think about a directional antenna, but probably will not try and monitor Denver as there are lots of other channels closer to home. Thanks again.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Denver on-line is pretty cool I even have stereo feeds in the car now using a my iPhone and 5-0 Radio Pro !

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.