Department of Motor Vehicles-DMV frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stafuneral

They use VSP frequencies. I believe the unit numbers are 15**. If you see a truck, the plate number is the unit number.

vwnut13

Weird, I was going to ask the same thing!

Can't say I have ever heard a DMV Unit on VSP before. Just the other day a Sheriff and a Trooper requested a DMV Unit, but none were available.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Did they change unit numbers? Who uses the 2100 series numbers? I thought the 2100's were DMV, or are those units the DOT inspection vehicles?

methusaleh

Did they change unit numbers? Who uses the 2100 series numbers? I thought the 2100's were DMV, or are those units the DOT inspection vehicles?

They didn't change, the 2100 series are still DMV Police. They transmit on the conventional VSP repeaters by barracks, just like field cruisers.

methusaleh

Heard "Car 50" tonight on VSP St Johnsbury. Any idea what that is?

From what I recall, the "car" callsigns are specific to the vehicle, whereas a Trooper will usually carry the same number throughout a career, only moving the plates when they change vehicles. Something along those lines.

I know that the Lenco Bearcats use "car" callsigns, as well as incident command vans. But I have also heard a sheriff's office vehicle on a VSP frequency using a "car" callsign.

When I run into someone who will know, I will have to ask.

vwnut13

Oh, and on the topic of cars (I know, I know), has anyone else noticed unmarked VSP Units with normal Vermont license plates?

There is an unmarked silver Ford Explorer Police Interceptor that I have been seeing around quite a bit. From Wells River, in and around St. Johnsbury, to Lyndonville. It has regular wheels, not the normal police steel wheels. The times I have seen it it has been driven by a uniformed state trooper.

Blackink

Funny you mentioned this. I believe I've seen similar cars here in the central Vermont area. I thought something looked odd but couldn't quite put my finger on it but now that you've mentioned it, I'm almost positive that's what I've seen go by my house.

The road that I live on, Towne Hill Rd. is a short cut to get from Rt #2 over to the city of Montpelier and I'm sure I've seen a vehicle that fits your description...

I'll try and get a better look if I see it again, I have 10x 50 binoculars so I can get a good look if I do see it in time...

vwnut13

Funny you mentioned this. I believe I've seen similar cars here in the central Vermont area. I thought something looked odd but couldn't quite put my finger on it but now that you've mentioned it, I'm almost positive that's what I've seen go by my house.

The road that I live on, Towne Hill Rd. is a short cut to get from Rt #2 over to the city of Montpelier and I'm sure I've seen a vehicle that fits your description...

I'll try and get a better look if I see it again, I have 10x 50 binoculars so I can get a good look if I do see it in time...

The Ford Explorer Sport has a black grill as well, but says "EXPLORER" across the hood.

If it's got a black grill and it doesn't say Explorer, it's most likely a Police Interceptor. The extra antenna's by the stock radio antenna give it away.

The one that I've seen doesn't have a search light, nor does it seem to have a separator for the passenger compartment. I've seen it leaving the grocery store with a passenger in the front seat, so I would assume that it's a higher up officer and he uses it as his personal vehicle as well.

There is also an Unmarked green Explorer that is running around these parts that also has a regular Vermont passenger license plate. This one is green with steel wheels, a search light, and a separator, so it's a little more obvious as to what it is. Still odd that it doesn't have a State Police plate however.

Tower7Troll

Depending on the role of the trooper (or ranking officer) operating the vehicle, not all of the VSP units have the green/gold license plates. A lot of the detectives cars have minimal lighting and regular tags.

vwnut13

Drove by the Caledonia County Court house today and saw something quite interesting. Four of the VSP units that just have regular passenger vehicle license plates.

A Green Ford Explorer, two Silver Ford Explorers, and a Silver Ford Taurus. All four vehicles have the same antenna on them.

There was also a white Ford Explorer from Massachusetts that had several antennas on the roof. It wasn't a police package, so I think that may have been a NECN vehicle. (NECN, FOX44, and WCAX were all there)

Status
Not open for further replies.