Department of Natural Resources??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1508J

Greetings!

I notice in the Virginia STARS database there is no listing for the Department of Natural Resources. Has that department been absorbed into some other agency? If so, would like to monitor that service.

I also notice that the Maryland database is similarly devoid of a DNR listing. Any information would is appreciated.

TNX de n1508j

W4UVV

Conservation & Recreation

Greetings!

I notice in the Virginia STARS database there is no listing for the Department of Natural Resources. Has that department been absorbed into some other agency? If so, would like to monitor that service.

I also notice that the Maryland database is similarly devoid of a DNR listing. Any information would is appreciated.

TNX de n1508j

C & R probably has responsibility for any related DNR issues.

John

beastieboy101

I only have lots of experience listening to VA Game Wardens for regions 2 & 5. (Talkgroups 3220 & 3236)

It seems as though the Game Wardens in Region 5 (Richmond to Northern VA) use more encryption then the Game Wardens in Region 2 (South Central VA).

I have noticed that mostly all the Game Wardens in Region 5 use encryption.

The last time I was down in Region 2; it seemed like they weren't using as much encryption.

Of course I am referring to the Game Wardens themselves; not the Dispatch which is typically always in the clear.

I will be down in Region 2 a month from now to listen again to hear if anything has changed.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I get 2 and 4 regularly out here. They all seemed to go encrypted on mobile side a while back. 2 is now having a lot of clear comms but 4 is mostly still encrypted with a couple exceptions.

It seems like maybe they are trying it out to come back to unencrypted status and see what happens but then I could be totally off the mark with that idea too. It just seems almost like a phased in return to unencrypted comms has been occurring with those two zones.

Chanman 13 I am not sure what you mean but if it helps they have unit numbers like 223, 227, 432 and 474 with the first number indicating zone.

SCPD

QRT
I'm well aware of the numbering, but do you call all of the DGIf units "Wardens" or Conservation officers?

W4UVV

DGIF STARS useage policy

I posted this in 2005 when STARS initially was being installed and here it is again. But first, for me old habits are hard to break. Game Wardens by another other name to me and others I know always will be Game Wardens. If I begin referring to CPOs in conversations, for sure someone will say "You mean Game Wardens?" So forget that CPO name for my generation.

DGIF policy regarding using STARS comms is:

1. The primary comm use will be via the mobile data terminal (MDT) in the Game Warden's vehicle.

2. STARS voice comms are to be on a secondary basis, i.e., MDT failure or as a more practical means.
to communicate.

This is why you rarely hear any Game Warden voice comms excepting logging "on" duty and informing the dispatcher of the area to be patrolled, "off" duty and possibly an occasional boat or vehicle license check request to dispatcher in Richmond. Occasionally there also might be a voice tac comm regarding other issues, i.e., a bear sighted in Chesterfield Co., etc.

3. Encryption is at the discretion of the Game Warden.

John
W4UVV

resqpig

Just as a side note...in many jurisdictions the Conservation Police have the county or city radios in their vehicles and/or portables, so many times they are dispatched by that jurisdiction directly. Usually are referred to as GW123 or whatever their number is after the GW.

Status
Not open for further replies.