• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Department Store Walkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyred79

Just curious- What brand and model radios do the employees of various retail stores use such as Walmart/Target/Best Buy/Toys R Us/and the various other large stores? I always forget to look when I walk in and then feel awkward staring at someone's waistline trying to figure out what they are using. I believe I saw a Motorola APX being used at a Target, but not sure. Thanks.

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

I'd LOVE to know which Target store was using APXs! lol

phillyred79

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

I'd LOVE to know which Target store was using APXs! lol

Yeah, I can't imagine they'd have their employees walking around with $$$ radios let alone the complete overkill.

W9NES

I have seen in my local Wal-mart and Target store that they are using Motorola radios. Can I get a person to do a clean up on isle 5?

Just curious- What brand and model radios do the employees of various retail stores use such as Walmart/Target/Best Buy/Toys R Us/and the various other large stores? I always forget to look when I walk in and then feel awkward staring at someone's waistline trying to figure out what they are using. I believe I saw a Motorola APX being used at a Target, but not sure. Thanks.

Most if not all stores use the Motorola CLS1410. Except for Menards they use the Kenwood TK series. Also Bass Pro uses what Menards uses. I have seen Target use the CLS1810T. Wal-Mart uses the Motorola RDX RDM2070D VHF and the XTN VHF. The two common freqs for Wal-Mart are 154.570 and 154.600. Bed Bath and Beyond uses the Motorola RDX RDU2020. Target has no reason to carry the APX for their ops. Hope this helps.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I have seen in my local Wal-mart and Target store that they are using Motorola radios.

Our local Walmart does, too. I think they use 154.570, but I need to verify it. The local JCPenney uses BearCom BC130s by Motorola, and the local Office Depot also uses some sort of Motorola radios.

When I go into a store I always look down to see what radio it is I don't care if it looks weird or not. If I can't tell I just ask about their radio they use. They are usually friendly when I ask.

Darth_vader

The APXes are the ones that look like FRS rigs with the big round "PUSH TO TALK" button at the top front, right? There are a few restaurants around here that have those.

phillyred79

Can anyone suggest a radio (preferably dual band) that is commercial grade that will cover both these business/commercial frequencies, GMRS/FRS, and can do TRBO/P25? Also, I'd like something that is relatively "hassle-free" as far as programming is concerned. I wouldn't mind spending the money on CPS license/software, but FPP is preferred. I have been doing a lot of research on this forum and the internet in general and just getting information overload on all the acronyms for different features etc.. The XPR/XTS/HT series all look pretty good as does the Vertex EVX/VXD. The Harris Momentum series looks good too. I am probably leaning more towards the DMR side of things, but just looking to see what my options are. I am guessing that I'd probably need 2 dedicated radios VHF/UHF to truly suit my needs. Sorry if my questions are naive- my brain is about to explode though!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Deep pockets

Can anyone suggest a radio (preferably dual band) that is commercial grade that will cover both these business/commercial frequencies, GMRS/FRS, and can do TRBO/P25? Also, I'd like something that is relatively "hassle-free" as far as programming is concerned. I wouldn't mind spending the money on CPS license/software, but FPP is preferred. I have been doing a lot of research on this forum and the internet in general and just getting information overload on all the acronyms for different features etc.. The XPR/XTS/HT series all look pretty good as does the Vertex EVX/VXD. The Harris Momentum series looks good too. I am probably leaning more towards the DMR side of things, but just looking to see what my options are. I am guessing that I'd probably need 2 dedicated radios VHF/UHF to truly suit my needs. Sorry if my questions are naive- my brain is about to explode though!

There are no radios that do Trbo and P25.
You can get commercial radios that do VHF and UHF, but they cost more than a few pennies each.
Not sure from your post if you were asking for radios that do both, or either/or.

phillyred79

I am definitely looking to pick up 2 different UHF radios at this point. The XTS5000 looks like a great radio for P25 stuff and the XPR6550 for trbo. Just need to find an XPR UHF with FPP.

Spankymedic7

Dual band commercial grade radio, that does both TRBO AND P25...and has hassle-free programming? Really? If you find anything like this, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.