Des Moines Airport Fire encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Des Moines Airport Fire recently went encrypted. I wondered why they have been so quiet lately...

timkilbride

Database Admin
What I noticed with Cedar Rapids Airport fire(or whatever its called). One transmission would be in the clear, then the next would be ENC. Most were ENC all the time.

Tim K.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
That's what I was hoping for. I hadn't heard them for a long long time and today I saw ENC on the screen. They've been encrypted full-time all day today. I'm not sure how encryption is really necessary for fire operations, especially if it's full-time. I'm guessing if they needed interop with DMFD, they'd have to go analog anyways.

I never heard anything interesting happen on Airport Fire, so I'm not really mourning a loss here, but I'm sure someone else out there has found it to be enjoyable.

timkilbride

Database Admin
That's what I was hoping for. I hadn't heard them for a long long time and today I saw ENC on the screen. They've been encrypted full-time all day today. I'm not sure how encryption is really necessary for fire operations, especially if it's full-time. I'm guessing if they needed interop with DMFD, they'd have to go analog anyways.

I never heard anything interesting happen on Airport Fire, so I'm not really mourning a loss here, but I'm sure someone else out there has found it to be enjoyable.

Do they have some some sort of patch/cross band repeater for DMFD? Or how is interop established?

Tim

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I can't say I've ever heard them talk to each other. I'm sure there's a plan, but all I've heard is each agency responding and staging using their own frequencies. I haven't listened in on any real incidents that would require mutual aid from DMFD. Not sure if DMPD officers who are assigned to the airport act as a sort of radio liaison for both agencies, but I think that'd be too cumbersome. I'll have to do some asking around to see what has been done in the past.

Also of note that the city council voted to hand off control of the airport to form a new airport authority, creating a new agreement to lease the airport land to the airport authority for the next 99 years. I'm not sure if DMPD will continue to have officers posted at the airport.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Isn't the airport owned by the city?

Given the current budget crisis that is pretty much universal these days, I think I would be asking where the money for that came from...

I think it is hilarious that these cities are blowing all kinds of money on things that aren't really necessary because they "Got a grant". Most grants have a matching requirement...

I remember when Fort Dodge bought a new fire truck with a "Grant". Only cost the city a hundred thousand, But they "Got a grant"!

Still had to fork over the money to get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.