Des Plaines Interested Of Joining DU-COMM Or ACDC In The Near Future

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
This may be old news couple months ago around September, but this is very surprising to me that a City outside of DuPage County boundary is considered joining one of the main Consolidated Dispatch Centers which also includes ACDC as well. Wheeling has decided to go their own ways without Des Plaines. NWCD denied Des Plaines to become a member.

I doubt this will happen. With the policies that DU-COMM has established of not allowing any agencies that does not reside near the county line. But despite with NWCD fussing with Des Plaines to not recognize their membership, this can be possible given the exception of this messy situation. On top of that, the Police and Fire Chief were former members of DU-COMM (Both are from the Lisle area). This is a matter of funding and resources before they run out of time.

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

N9JIG

Sheriff
Does anyone know why NWCDS denied DesPlaines' request to join?
Not sure but there could have been a few reasons. Capacity is the most likely, NWCD might not have the physical and personnel capacity to absorb an entity as large as Des Plaines without considerable expansion.

There could have also been financial considerations, the costs would have been higher than the two parties would have been willing to pay.

There could have also been negotiation issues, like disposition of personnel from DP (would they be given preferential hiring at NWCD?), procedures or incompatible CAD/RMS systems.

I would presume that existing members would have to vote on accepting new members. Wheeling might have been more easily absorbed than Des Plaines.

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
Final update of information that we know is that Des Plaines does not want to wait any longer to join ACDC for their membership. Instead they made the decision to join with Cook County Sheriff to Dispatch Police and have Fire stay at RED Center.

raymondjtoth

Premium Subscriber
What does this mean for me? I live in Des Plaines, will I be able to listen to either police or fire on my analog scanner?

N9JIG

Sheriff
What does this mean for me? I live in Des Plaines, will I be able to listen to either police or fire on my analog scanner?
With the FD staying at RED Center you won't hear much of DPFD traffic on your analog scanner as they have switched to a P25 conventional system. If you get a P25 digital scanner you will be able to hear them.

Police are already on P25 encrypted and will stay so. The talkgroup numbers might change but you still will not be able to hear them, even with a digital scanner.