descrambler needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Man

Hello every one I'm pretty new to the scanner world but I live in Maine and when I'm scanning I know i programed a lot more places then I'm receiving. Now i know that they are not digital so im all set there. I've got a Bearcat bct 15 trunk tracker 3 scanner with a 36" antenna and I'm mobile. i guess I'm led to believe maybe they police are scrambled? and if so can someone point me in the right direction for a good unscrambler or maybe tell me what is really going on? all the help i can get is much-o appreciated. thanks :)

qlajlu

Silent Key
Welcome to RR.com​
C-Man​

First, I urge you to return to your User CP (Left side of the second blue bar from the top on any page) and fill in your "Location" (city and state) in the details of your User Profile. That way your location will show automatically in each of your posts and so many questions and answers depend on location. It is also a simple courtesy for the rest of the members reading your posts.

I would also suggest that you ask these questions in your own state's forum (Maine). The local members will be familiar with the area and what can and cannot be accessed. You will find members always ready to help.

One word of advice, however. If your local PD is encrypted (scrambled) you will not be able to monitor them. Even if you could find a program to decode the encrypted transmissions it is illegal to do so. Other transmissions do not enjoy that legal protection unless your state or local laws have made it illegal to monitor emergency services radio traffic altogether. However, digital transmissions are often mistaken for encrypted because analog scanners cannot understand digital. Once again, your local forum will be able to answer this question.

Again, welcome, and enjoy this great hobby.

C-Man

hmm well it seems like i can not listen to he state police or even york county police which are the ones i want to hear. any suggestions pleasE?

lost_in_maine

Hello every one I'm pretty new to the scanner world but I live in Maine and when I'm scanning I know i programed a lot more places then I'm receiving.

Welcome C-Man...

for a good list of frequencys for York & Cumberland Counties, check out the link in my Signature
not much digital down that way, except Biddeford PD P-25, & to the north, Auburn/Lewiston.
Wells PD, sometimes uses some old speech inversion scrambling

A lot of towns in both counties don't have PD coverage, and are covered by SP and Sheriffs depts

n1das

Other transmissions do not enjoy that legal protection unless your state or local laws have made it illegal to monitor emergency services radio traffic altogether.

Unlikely to be the case given that any such law(s) would be subject to preemption by federal law. The "It SHALL NOT be unlawful...." clause in ECPA'86 (federal law) applies to these radio services and specifically states that it SHALL NOT be unlawful to monitor radio traffic in these radio services.

C-Man, welcome to scanning and welcome to the RR community.

Last edited:

qlajlu

Silent Key
Unlikely to be the case given that any such law(s) would be subject to preemption by federal law. The "It SHALL NOT be unlawful...." clause in ECPA'86 (federal law) applies to these radio services and specifically states that it SHALL NOT be unlawful to monitor radio traffic in these radio services.

C-Man, welcome to scanning and welcome to the RR community.
I did not know that. Thank you, David.

C-Man

Well thanks for the input so far im going to get a new list of freq' from your sig and try them out and keep you posted. thanks again :)

SHREK

Hello every one I'm pretty new to the scanner world but I live in Maine and when I'm scanning I know i programed a lot more places then I'm receiving. Now i know that they are not digital so im all set there. I've got a Bearcat bct 15 trunk tracker 3 scanner with a 36" antenna and I'm mobile. i guess I'm led to believe maybe they police are scrambled? and if so can someone point me in the right direction for a good unscrambler or maybe tell me what is really going on? all the help i can get is much-o appreciated. thanks :)

The Maine Game wardens scramble there radios

Lobstah_Guy

Me SP and York Co. SO

hmm well it seems like i can not listen to he state police or even york county police which are the ones i want to hear. any suggestions pleasE?

Neither the Maine State Police (156.15) or York County S.O. (154.995) do any type of
scrambling.
What frequencies do you have programmed for these two agencies??

Peter
K2XM
Out in the pukah brush!!

lost_in_maine

ON Which frequencies ??

Biill, I have heard Speech-inversion (old time stuff) on 154.725
The pl of the top of my head was 141.3

But this is only during hunting season, never heard it used any other time
I am in a area known for hunting, and fishing, so I see them drive by a lot

I do hear them in the clear using simplex on 155.730
Hopefully they will get P-25 radios soon

Doug

lost_in_maine

I've got a Bearcat bct 15 trunk tracker 3 scanner with a 36" antenna and I'm mobile.

C-Man, what type of antenna are you using?,
do you receive anything using the supplied antenna with the scanner
check to make sure your scanner is in FM mode,

do not enter a PL for Zone-1 SP on 156.150
the pl for York County SO is 192.8 (154.995)

KB1JHU

A lot of people seem to be surprised by the fact that Game Wardens and other natural resource law enforcement officers use inversion/encryption. The fact is that in places with such great natural resources as Maine, poaching can be big business. Poaching investigations can be just as intense as drug investigations and in a lot of cases, just as dangerous. I believe Maine Marine Patrol also has inversion/encryption capability.

ecps92

Not suprised, just looking to add it to my Notes.

Many Depts only use Scramblers on certain Channels/Frequencies.

Thanks for the info.

A lot of people seem to be surprised by the fact that Game Wardens and other natural resource law enforcement officers use inversion/encryption. The fact is that in places with such great natural resources as Maine, poaching can be big business. Poaching investigations can be just as intense as drug investigations and in a lot of cases, just as dangerous. I believe Maine Marine Patrol also has inversion/encryption capability.

C-Man

What is a pl and where do i enter this freq? im a noob please help :) i seem to be picking up a lot more now on my scanner and its nice but im going to buy a nice scantenna soon and mount it on my roof probably is the higher the betteR?

Status
Not open for further replies.