Desk Mount Options for 3 scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I'm finally starting to organize my office and I'm trying to find a tidy way to mount my scanners. I have a Uniden 996T & 780 as well as a BR330T. I realize there probably isn't an existing stand that will accomodate all three of these, but I'm looking for options to at least organize the 996T and 780.

I've seen things like: Desk Mount for Three Base Scanners

But I'm cusiour if there are better options for the desk, or better options meant for vehicles that I can use on my desk.

trumpetman

Database Admin
The link you provided, in my opinion, seems like the best option. If you have a shelf around eye level, you can mount the units side by side with the included brackets. Not sure I've ever seen any vehicle consoles that would be feasible in an office, but anything is possible with creativity. There's rack mount solutions if you ever plan on adding equipment. That's all I can really think of currently.

wcr20

Well - i have 2 suggestions (or, perhaps 2.5)

1 - something like this - while designed for a car, would work just by bending out the bottom flanges flat... Galls Vertical StreetThunder XC300 - VE200

2- Home brew something similar... When I had my Suburban, I home brewed a console (for horizontal use, not vertical, out of thick smoked plexiglass - and once i had the radios where i wanted them - i drilled thru the plexi for the mounting screws

2.5- use the mount that came with one to attach to the desk, and use 2 narrow pieces of metallic bracketing (ie Shelf bracketing) to make a ladder to afiix the top to the middle and then to the bottom unit.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I was aiming for something to hold three normal radios so I can add one should I decide to...and you might be right that the Scanner Master link is the best option. I like the Galls but it's probably a little too tall...and I'm not terribly good and building much so a home brew is probably out of the question. I do like the idea of maybe using the standard mount under a shelf, but I'm not sure that will work given the way the desk is setup. I looked at Jotto Desks but I can't find one that looks like it will work let alone be a reasonable price.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I also thought I had see some other options people had used based on shelving or letter holders from Office Depot or Ofice Max but I can't find the photos.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
After a few more days of research...beyond the Scanner Master desk unit, and a few vehicle-designed units, there really isn't anything. The scannermaster unit is nice, but at $80 shipped and adaptation necessary to drill holes in the base & attach othe runits, it doesn't seem like a great value...and the vehicle mounts cost even more in most cases.

Sounds like we need to convince Ron ( tonsoffun) to get back in the scanner stand business! I'm open to ideas but short of a homebrew there really isn't anything out there to find.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
I made my own for 4 BC 350s and a Pro-2026 using mending plates and the right sized bolts as the knurled screws aren't long enough. I can send you a pic.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I'd love to see a photo. What exactly is a mending plate?

N9JIG

Sheriff
How about using the Troy Command Console faceplates (Bearcar-Uniden - Face Plates) and building a box to house them?

Here is a pic one of my prior mobile installs, you could adapt the faceplates to a desktop box like I did for our 9-1-1 center.

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/94562-update-n9jig-mobile.html

At the center I took a piece of aluminum and cut out the holes for the Troy faceplates, and mounted the radios with these faceplates into it. This fit into an existing console slot. When we rebuilt the 9-1-1 center we had a simple wood cabinet built to spec to house the radios as well as other equipment:

http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...lecommunicators-lets-see-your-work-shack.html

While I use flat shelves right now I have been thinking of going the faceplate-in-a-box route for many years, but I just have too many radios to do so, and not enough room.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks...they look great. Unfortunately as soon as you say the word "build" you've surpassed my mechanical & construction abilities by a long way.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
After a few more days of research...beyond the Scanner Master desk unit, and a few vehicle-designed units, there really isn't anything. The scannermaster unit is nice, but at $80 shipped and adaptation necessary to drill holes in the base & attach othe runits, it doesn't seem like a great value...and the vehicle mounts cost even more in most cases.

Sounds like we need to convince Ron ( tonsoffun) to get back in the scanner stand business! I'm open to ideas but short of a homebrew there really isn't anything out there to find.

Maybe I should ;):D

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Did you have to bend the mending plates yourself? I assume they come pre-drilled?

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
No.
Here's info for Home Depot: Everbilt 3 in. Galvanized Mending Plates 2 Pack; Model # 15264; Internet # 202033985;Store SKU # 325996.
The knurled knobs that came with the radio may not be long enough so bring on from each radio (or the radio itself) and ask the HD guy to size them up for you. Get bolts the same thread but a little longer but not too long or they'll short out the radio.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'll check it out. So one radio sits on the desk, and the second radio is attached to the first radion with 2 mending plates?

SCPD

QRT
Funny, I read this post earlier this morning and went to my rent's house. Found some plexiglass laying around and went ahead and homebrewed a basic version of a scanner desk mount.

Enjoy

photo33x.jpg

photo41t.jpg

Just cuttin' some plexi and drilling holes straight down one side to have many options on where to place your scanner.

One piece of Plexi from home improvement store: $10~
Drill and exacto blade for cutting. (or skill saw, whatever fits your fancy)

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks....Pretty sure I can't build that but it looks nice.

SCPD

QRT
Literally is just two pieces of plexiglass with a bunch of holes drilled into them at equal distances! :D

N9JIG

Sheriff
Another option is one of those Shoe Shelves they sell at Target, Home Depot etc. It is a simple white pressboard 2-shelf assembly. The top shelf is about 9-12 inches high and the vertical members are about 18 inches apart. The center shelf is adjustable with screws. Here is a link for one at The Container Store: The Container Store > 2-Shelf Storage Stacker

I used these for radios for years until my shack outgrew them. I would move the center shelf up or down depending on the size of the bottom radio(s). They also work as monitor stands, so you can slide the keyboard underneath when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.