Desktop cradle to hold up portables

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCKFD34

Does anyone have any neat ideas - I have 3 portable scanners and I like to leave them on my desk but they always tip over. I want to find some sort of nifty cradle of sorts where I can place them in and prevent them from tipping, but still allow them to work. I guess I can work up some narrow box or something, but I was curious if anyone has something like this?

NC1

I have 6 of these and are a cheap & easy solution.
Just remember that when you are using it for HT's, make sure there is a long back on it so it is supported as high as possible. That way it won't flip over backwards because of the high center of gravity.

(edited to post a link to the ones I have)

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any neat ideas - I have 3 portable scanners and I like to leave them on my desk but they always tip over. I want to find some sort of nifty cradle of sorts where I can place them in and prevent them from tipping, but still allow them to work. I guess I can work up some narrow box or something, but I was curious if anyone has something like this?
Metal book ends work fine and are cheap

NC1

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Check these out:

NC1

Hahahaha, not recommending just adding possibilities. With a little modification on the top you have the Walmart option...

The ones I posted have a thin (but sturdy enough) back, so the belt clip on the HT slips right on. No modification needed. Yes I had to wait a few weeks for them to show up but for the price I couldn't pass them up. There might be a US based supplier in there somewhere where shipping will take about a week but it's going to cost a bit more.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The ones I posted have a thin (but sturdy enough) back, so the belt clip on the HT slips right on. No modification needed. Yes I had to wait a few weeks for them to show up but for the price I couldn't pass them up. There might be a US based supplier in there somewhere where shipping will take about a week but it's going to cost a bit more.
Does the kickstand interfere with longer belt clips on these very cheap cost chinese stands?
I have a few modified Motorola belt clips that fit on some of my radios. Their clips are longer than the average clip supplied with most scanners.

None of the pictures in that eBay link really show the kickstand very well so it's hard to tell.

edit: Ha! the link you just posted for a US supplier looks like it answers my question and these stands would probably work fine for the price!

Reactions: NC1

bob550

Premium Subscriber
If the stand is too flimsy, I would think it would be easily overwhelmed by the weight of the scanner particularly when using the keypad. Personally, I think the metal bookends mentioned by @kb3isq are a fine idea. You can also bend them to improve access to the keypad and increase screen visibility.

NC1

If the stand is too flimsy, I would think it would be easily overwhelmed by the weight of the scanner particularly when using the keypad.

Almost any stand is going to move when pressing the buttons on a keypad unless you screw or glue it to the table. The ones I posted have many viewing angles without having to bend anything. If all you want to do is turn it on and listen while being able to see the display and have the speaker facing toward you, then I would go with the most cost effective option. For a little more stability, there's those anti-skid mats used to line kitchen cabinets and drawers that you cut to fit. The dollar store probably has those.

NC1

Ha! the link you just posted for a US supplier looks like it answers my question and these stands would probably work fine for the price!

If you would like to see a scanner sitting on one of these (it's a Pro-668), just let me know and I'll post a few pictures when I get the chance today.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If you would like to see a scanner sitting on one of these (it's a Pro-668), just let me know and I'll post a few pictures when I get the chance today.

I'm good after the last US link you provided but maybe others would benefit from an actual scanner sitting in one if you can post one without going out of your way. I ordered a three pack.
That first link you gave showed a seller that only had one positive feedback. Maybe not a big deal figuring they are just pennies. I guess all sellers on eBay must start with 0 or 1 positives at some point! I did the US link mainly for the faster shipping.

DJ11DLN

I had made one out of a piece of dimensional 4X4 red oak I had left over. Hour or so of router work, another hour sanding & finishing. I had glued some felt to the bottom so it wouldn't scratch anything. After I quit using a portable in the house I gave it away...I know I took pics of it but I can't seem to find any. It was just a slot a little bigger than the scanner with a relief in the front so as not to block the speaker. I had lined the inside with felt too so it wouldn't scratch the scanner. The only time a scanner ever got knocked over in it, a rambunctious grandchild was involved. Cost was minimal because I had all the materials on hand left over from other projects.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
For a little more stability, there's those anti-skid mats used to line kitchen cabinets and drawers that you cut to fit. The dollar store probably has those.
I found a roll of black cabinet matting some years ago at Lowe's. I have used it from time to time to provide a more secure footing for radios on my desk, that is until I decided to secure most of them with their mobile brackets and screws. The matting does provide a nice grip and improves stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.